I have a friend who has type 1 diabetes.  She talks about something called a hypo and I don't ask her what she is talking about because i don't want to sound stupid around her.  I am wondering if someone could explain to me what  a hypo is?  l think this would help me understand her situation better.  I know she has to watch what she eats and that she needs to eat at certain times.  I see that she takes shots a lot too.  I feel bad that she has to do this type of thing, I think it would hurt to have to take shots all the time.  I have looked up some things on the internet about her condition but it is kinda confusing to me about her illness.  I have a grandma that has diabetes but she takes a pill for it.  So I wonder why she gets to take a pill and my friend has to take injections all the time. My grandma says it is because hers is juvenile diabetes but it still doesn't make sense to me.  Thanks for the help.

Type 1 diabetes (or juvenile diabetes) starts in younger children and is different from type 2 because it starts with the pancreas and its inability to secrete any insulin.  When a person develops type 2, it happens later in life when their pancreas slowly stops making insulin because of a person’s diet and sedentary lifestyle.  Diabetics who need insulin to replace the insulin not being produced in the body will tend to have hypoglycemia, or low blood sugars.  This is what your friend is experiencing when she says she has hypos.  She just needs to watch that she takes her carbohydrates throughout the day to keep her blood sugars up.  I hope this answers your questions.

Hypoglycemia is when your sugar is very low in your blood, in the case of diabetics either because they have use too much insulin (which makes the blood goes inside your cells and out of the blood) or because she didn't eat enough to have sugar in her body. the symptoms from hypoglycemia are different in different people. The most common symptoms are sweating, shakiness, irritability, confusion, hunger, nausea, blurred vision, sleepiness, headaches, anger,...The best way to treat is recognizing it at the first symptoms and drinking of eating sugar food or drink. Like a glucose gel or a juice.