Hi, I suffer from peptic ulcer for many years. I take Nexium and Ranitidine regularly. But, there is my cousin who said that he got much relief since he started to take tea of deglycyrrhizinated licorice. Is it actually working?

Deglycyrrhizinated licorice, commonly abbreviated DGL, is an extract of the root of licorice. It is better then original licorice because it has reduced mineralocorticoid activity. Licorice has a many healing properties. It is mostly used for peptic ulcer healing and when an anti-inflammatory remedy is needed. It contains glycyrrhizinic acid, which has mineralocorticoid-like and testosterone-reducing activities. You should not use original herb if you suffer from hypertension, water retention and hypokalemia. However, DGL is safe even for these categories of patients.