Hi, I have friends who prepare and drink a lot of lemon juice, and believe that it has improved their digestion. Are there any proofs that digestion and constipation benefit from lemon?

Hi, I am aware of importance of mutual dedication to health and wellness through simple healing remedies. So, I grow my own lemons to get desired quality and be sure of healthy origin. The lemon has antiseptic properties, preventing sepsis. It is good source of vitamin C, an important ingredient for healthy gums, absorption of iron, antioxidant and many other functions.Heartburn, bloating and belching symptoms are relieved due to it’s digestive properties. If you drink lemon juice the bowels eliminate waste more efficiently, and constipation is better regulated. The lemon stimulates the liver and adds dissolving of uric acid, and is useful in malaria.

chupp is right. but there are widespread believe that lemon is good for peptic ulcer which is obviously wrong!! Suppose, if you pour acid on any wound of the body that will surely not help wound healing. So, the indigestion or bloating sensation due to the peptic ulcer disease must not be treated by eating lemon or drinking its juice.

Hi to every one. I think that lemon juice is the most effective thing since slice bread. I use lemon juice every morning and it does wonders for me. Every morning first thing on a empty stomach I drink a half freshtly squeezed lemon with water and a little bit of cayenne pepper to get my metabolism started.

I have my own blog on health and weight loss if anyone would like to speak up and see natural home remedies for just about anything connected to weight loss.

**edited by moderator**web addresses not allowed**

Hi to everyone, after much research I have come to the conclusion that lemons are safe to eat during pregnancy though it is said too much could wear off the enamel in your teeth. It is also said that lemons are acidic but the moment it enters your body it becomes an alkaline and carry out alkalinic functions. So I agree with Chubb!

I would be interested in your blog on home remedies. Let me know where to find it.
Thanks,

My take is that lemon (or lime) juice strengthens your stomach's acid levels and then actually alkalizes the body (after it's fully digested). Strengthened stomach acid might help you break down foods better so your intestines can more easily pull out the nutrients from the food. To top it off, one lemon has over 10% your RDI of vitamin C and has other trace minerals in it that might strengthen your immune system.

Strong stomach acid does NOT cause stomach ulcers, the bacteria H.Pylori has been identified as the cause (as it eats away at your stomach lining-- google it if you want). If you want to fight off this bacteria (in addition to using lemon juice) you really must consider adding to your diet a probiotic supplement AND unsweetened yogurt that you sweeten with honey (yes, take both yogurt and a probiotic supplement). My doctor told me to take probiotics and to eat yogurt and more fermented foods to help with my digestion. So far probiotics, yogurt, and lemon juice has improved my digestion by maybe 30 percent (reducing gas/bloating and loose stools)-- the longer you do this, the more the effects will build- it takes time though and using other approaches too like what I'm about to mention next.

A widely under-looked way to improve your digestion is to minimize and/or eliminate most of your chronic stress, anxiety, and depression. This could mean improving your stress management program by adding exercise, diet, more sleep, antidepressants (if you need them), supplements, and psychotherapy (I'd suggest a little psychotherapy to anyone who is stressed and wants to reduce their stress and change for the better). When your stressed/depressed/anxious, your stress hormone levels raise which directs more blood away from your inner organs and out to your outer extremities-- with higher stress hormones in your bloodstream, your stomach can secrete a significantly lower amount of stomach acid and enzymes and the flora balance in your intestines can become unbalanced (with candida yeast or the bad bacteria taking over). Also under anxiety/depression, your serotonin levels usually go lower and the low serotonin levels in the nerve pathway that connects your brain to your stomach can negatively affect your digestion as serotonin is a part regulator of your GI/digestive tract. In a nutshell, deal with any chronic stress and you will see some degree of improvement in your digestion. That's always been the case with me and I speak here from personal experience.

Yes. I'm the proof. I used to suffer from indigestion problem very often in the past. I started drinking lemon juice regularly and now its reduced by more than 60%

I was unaware of how effective this is. What all do you need to do? How much do you need to drink? Can you give me an idea? Thanks! :)

I found an article that says when lemons are used regularly they basically kick start the liver to create bile to help digest the daily food intake. There were many benefits listed. Just Google.........."Health Benefits of Lemons" and you'll see all the articles.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

Lemon juice contains citric acid, which is a well known buffer. It regulates the pH of the medium in which it exists. In other words, it will not permit excessive acidity or alkalinity. And peptic ulcers are due to the bacteria, Helicobacter pylori, and not due to acidity. As for me, I take the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon in cold water in the morning after breakfast, and at night, after dinner. I am sure to rinse my mouth with water after this. I cannot vouch for any medical benefits of this, but I get a nice belch, which digests the oily and spicy food (bad habit) that I usually eat. I have also noticed an increase in my appetite, whenever I drink this juice for a few days, and I feel ravenously hungry all the time.. which may not be good for weight control, LOL :-)

I think that lemon juice is the most effective thing since slice bread. I use lemon juice every morning and it does wonders for me. Every morning first thing on a empty stomach I drink a half freshtly squeezed lemon with water and a little bit of cayenne pepper to get my metabolism started.
Regards,
Ali.

I agree with all on the lemon. Good acids like lemon juice and lime juice are converted in the stomach and become alkaline. Also thoses of us who had peptic ulcers or h-pylori most likely did not have a good amount of acid in the stomach. When our stomach acid is too low we create a host of problems with an overgrowth of bad bacteria, with the functioning of our organs and our immune systems are really created in the gut. When our gut is in a bad state so are the rest of our bodies. Lemon or lime juice are great in helping to create healthy acid in our stomach. Also for women in perimenopause our hormones go crazy from low stomach acid too. Another great product to increase a low acid stomach is apple cider vinegar. Look it up, it's fantastic to take regularly to increase stomach acid. I found tablespoons to be too harsh on my stomach but teaspoons worked great. I use a great probiotic (get a good one) and used it twice a day. Also mastic gum or a gastro relief are great for h-pylori as well as turmeric in pill form. They can knock it right out. Also drinking chlorophyll in water each day can help with yeast overgrowth which often goes hand in hand with bacteria overgrowth. Make sure you are taking iron and other supplements when you have any of these issues because our bodies can't absorb nutrients well if our digestion isn't great. Lastly green tea helps kill h-pylori. I have lots more info but I don't want to keep going on.

Lemon and lemon juice both have the star material of the bath, can create a comfortable mood. Many fruits can be as self-made skin care products of the material, however, the importance of lemon deserves particular note. Lemon juice can mainly be skin cleansing, whitening and the effect of remove acne. Lemon peel contains natural essential oils, natural emanate aroma, people feel good. Broken up the Lemon peel can use for mask, have the effect of scrub Exfoliating, for facial and body have the effects of to remove old waste.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I am new to this site and a New Fan of the Benifits of Drinking Lemon Juice. On June 2nd, I passed my second Kidney Stone in 4 yrs. This stone was 3mm in size and spent 5 days lodged just above my Bladder. I am 52 yrs old , Retired , no insurance but otherwise in great physical condition. I found by a word search " Kidney Stone " on U-Tube a few instuctionals and mostly testimonials about Dissolving Kidney Stones by Drinking Lemon Juice. It was just that easy, start with 8oz's fresh squeezed, and Lemonaide for the next 24 hrs. It worked , the next night what came out was 3 small stones and what looked like pepper. A Dissolved Stone. Now of course , this was my own experience but Drinking Lemon Juice will now be a part of my everyday life.