My friend was complaining about he was infected with dermatitis. He explained me it is a chronic disease that affected his skin, called atopic dermatitis. I just knew that word dermatitis means inflammation of the skin. I feel sorrow for him because I can see him scratch which leads him to redness, swelling, cracking and so on. I would like to understand why this happened to him, so can you explain me cause of atopic dermatitis?

First to tell you atopic dermatitis is not contagious, which means it cannot be passed from one person to another. Atopic dermatitis refers to a group of diseases where there is often an inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions. Some of them might be asthma and hay fever. In atopic dermatitis, skin became itchy, which leads patients in condition that you explained your friend has already experienced. The cause of this kind of dermatitis is not known, but disease seems to result from a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Children are more likely to develop this kind of inflammation if one or both parents have had it or have had allergic conditions. While someone can outgrow skin symptoms, approximately three-fourths of children with this kind of dermatitis go on to develop hay fever or asthma. Environmental factors can bring up symptoms of atopic dermatitis at any time. That happens to individuals who have inherited the atopic disease trait. Dermatitis is also associated with malfunction of the body’s immune system.