What are the most common causes of pink eye in childhood? My son has been diagnosed with allergic conjunctivitis, so I would like to know more about it. He has redness and itching, no discharge. He had problems in the past which seem to be related to conjunctivitis.

Conjunctivitis is an inflammation of the conjunctiva which is usually caused by infection or allergy. It is often referred to as “pink eye” and is the most common acute eye disorder seen by primary care pediatricians. Allergic conjunctivitis is characterized by ocular redness and itching, clear tears, crusting of the eye lids and photophobia may also be seen. The condition is often recurrent, and Children who have allergic conjunctivitis often have a history of other atopic diseases, particularly allergic rhinitis, eczema or asthma.