Hi! My son has extreme itchiness and redness during hot days. When is hot his condition is terrible. We went to dermatologist, but he didn’t help him a lot. Only he told me that he have atopic dermatitis. What is atopic dermatitis? What is cause of my condition? Is there some treatment?

Hi! My daughter also has same disease as your son. Atopic dermatitis is a common chronic skin disease that also is called eczema. The inflammation is a result of the immune system's overreaction to things in the environment or foods. In general, atopic dermatitis will come and go, often from changes in the environment. Atopic dermatitis is not contagious and, like many diseases, currently cannot be cured. However, for most patients the condition may be managed well with treatment and avoidance of triggers. Antihistamines taken by mouth can help reduce itching. Some antihistamines cause drowsiness. This can make your child feel less itchy and help him sleep.