Hello everyone, In 9 weeks I have to go get deviated septum surgery. I'm only 17 years old, and have been suffering with this for quiet a while. I'm not actually sure how much of my nostrils are blocked, but both are seriously hard to breathe threw (I got two bumps in each that block the passenge). My doctor told me that he only will use the splints (septoplasty) for afterwards and 2 weeks from my operation day he will take them out. I have been doing some research on this surgery. Some people say it hurts like heck, while others say it doesn't hurt at all. I know that my surgery is being done at a hospital here but I have a couple questions that maybe you can help me with. : 1. Will I have to wear a hospital gown during my surgery? 2. If I do wear a gown, can I wear panties or pants under it. 3. How long should I be in the operating and recovering room? 4. On a scale of 1-10 how bad does it hurt? 5. Do you bleed, swell, and/or bruise? 6. Will I be well enough to attend school through the two weeks I have the septoplasty in my nose? Thank you so much, Erin

Right, by now you have had the operation, but just in case people look for this in the future, i will share my experience. I've read a lot of bad things about this operation, but my personal journey was brilliant. I've not been able to breathe through my nose for months, so i went and had the surgery. The only bad bit about it is the recovery, the 2 weeks after, you just feel like you have a very heavy cold, and in my case, i got an infection which was outrageously smelly, but not very painful. I was on just normal grade painkillers to take the edge off, and i do not have a particularly high pain threshold! Just think, it is 2 weeks of annoyance for a lifetime of bliss. For anyone that is going through what i was before the op, the non sleep, the horrid unability to smell and breathe through your nose etc etc, trust me. Get it done. You'll never regret it :)

Cheers, Andy