I AM 33 YRS OLD AND SUPPOSED TO HAVE MY TONSILS REMOVED AND MY DEVIATED SEPTUM FIXED AT THE SAME TIME. SHOULD I NOT DO THIS???? I KNOW THE TONSILS WILL BE VERY PAINFUL ALONG WITH RISKS IS THIS GOING TO BE TOO MUCH TO HANDLE AT ONCE? HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD BOTH OF THESE DONE AT THE SAME TIME?

I know this is an old post, but I had my tonsils out in June, and I just had my surgery on my deviated septum on Monday. Do not do both at the same time, if the doctor recommend this or even suggests this, I would find a new doctor. The deviated septum surgery does not hurt. I had my surgery Monday, on Wednesday I had the packing removed, which did not hurt, and I was out on the town Friday night. With my tonsil surgery, the pain is almost unbearable as an adult, I am 28, but it does take about 2 weeks for you to recover. I was not able to eat or talk for two weeks and lost 15 pounds. It all came back once I started eating, but definately get them done separately.

Yes, I have I would not do both at the same time if I had it to do all over again. Having my tonsils removed was the best thing I ever did but getting my deviated septum fixed did not help at all.

HELLO,
I know this is a very later response but for future readers. 
          When it comes to needles and pain, I am a drama queen. I had surgery MAy 8 for bothe my Deviated Septum and Tonsils and adnoids removed. I will recommend to do both the surgery so you can recover the same time for them both. The Deviated Septum was not bad as I thought it would be especially during my case of how bad my Deviated Septum was. The Tonsil removal is another story. I am very Frustrated, the mornings is the worse esp when you are waking up, your mouth is dry and the pain is unbearable. I lost 15 pounds as well and When My throat is better, I cant wait to EAT, no matter what I eat or drink, It hurts like hell. I know its worth it because I have tonsilitis every other month since i was a little girl, so im looking forward to not have that issue any more.

I RECOMMEND BOTH SURGERIES.. IF SOMEONE TELL YOU, YOU SHOULDNT, THERE STUPID. IF YOUR DR SAYS YES, THEN DO IT. KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE

For anyone reading this in the future I would say they should definitely consider doing both procedures at the same time which is what I did. Yes it is probably a bit more difficult overall than just one, but overall the septoplasty was really not that bad at all with little to no bleeding after the packing was taken out of my nose. The tonsillectomy is no walk in the park, but liquid vicodin every six hours really takes away almost all of the pain and you have no problems talking at all. I did lose 15 pounds and you have to be very disciplined with what you eat and drink, but the benefits of these two surgeries is great if you have a sleep disorder. Best of luck to all and do the right thing!!

How long is the recovery time? for example when can you return to work? i am a 22 year old and am having the surgery on a tuesday Nov 6 with the rest of the week off. Should I take additional days off the following week or will I be able to return to work on Monday.

Thanks!

If you are having both your tonsils removed and deviated septum fixed you will need to take up to two weeks off which is what I did. Mind you, I had just turned age 47 at the time of my surgery, but if you are having both procedures done I think returning to work on the on Nov. 12th is definitely an unrealistic goal. Best of luck to you, you will be glad you had this done in the long run, I sure am now.

my name is sherrie i'am schudleing for both surgerys now and i have been waiting for2 years to get this done .i've been on blood thiner so it's kind of scary because they dont won't me to bleed to much,so that scare's me alot i've been on blood thiners for about 4 month's so i have to stop taking them for a week before surgery.it's very frighting because i'am also 48 years old and i have ashma so it something to really think about.

I had the same things done. The deviated septum wasn't too bad, but I feel more clogged and congested then before. The tonsils and adenoids are a painful process to overcome on day 11 and I feel a little better but the mornings are the worst. My throat feels swollen and it still hurts. I'm praying for better days I just want to feel normal. I am excited to see what happens in the future tho because tonsillitis was the worst and it smelled. I'm 28 years old. Let me know how you feel and how long it took to feel completely normal again. Thanks

I am nearly 60 years old, large tonsils, deviated septum making nasal breathing challenging and diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. It is now 15 days since surgery whereby my tonsils were removed, corrected nasal septum deviation and also turbinoplasty. Nasal breathing has definitely improved. Pain was worse from day 3 to day 10. Absolute bliss when nasal splints were removed after day 7. Had a great ENT specialist in Newcastle. Tried to return to work at day 14 but had to return home. It was recommended that I have all surgery in one hit; I glad I did. It certainly is challenging ....but remember it's all a process and long term well worth it. Good luck!!

I had deviated septum surgery several years ago. It was intense and very painful afterward. However I have discovered that if I regularly irrigate my nose with saline or the netti Potts method life is much better. It makes all the difference and did right after surgery. Costco has a real cheap kit with all the bottles and packs you need to irrigate. It's weird when you start but worth it.

I am having surgery on deviated septum, tonsillectomy and shaving of the uvilus. I suffer from anxiety, and panic attacks as well. 50 years old. I'm a nervous wreck. Should I cancel surgery? My sleep apnea is a 68 and anything above a 15 is severe. Suggestions please.

I'm almost 57 but it takes over 50 hrs work a week to meet the bills most of the time. I was suffocating from the mucus from my current sinus infection. I know that I need both operations done but, then I risk homelessness. 50 years deviation of septum and about 6 years ago sleep apnea due to tonsils. For the past 10 months ill and fever about every 8 days.

I got my tonsils, and adenoids removed along side fixing my deviated septum in one procedure this morning. I guess the good part of getting them all done at once is that I can't even feel any pain in my nose because my throats hurts so bad. Recovery time for what I had done is supposed to take two to three weeks which in my opinion beats going through this pain multiple times during a prolonged period for seperate procedures. The pain that accompanies the surgery is guaranteed regardless if you get it done sooner or later. My advice is to take off two to three weeks off of work/school and hang on through the pain and swelling knowing that you will only have to go through this once if you group everything into one surgery.

Hi guys, I am 21 years old,
I had surgery on my deviated septum and turbs as well as my tonsils being removed. My advice is to get the surgery done separately, eating is the most painful process seeing as though you can only breath out of your mouth, I had complications with my surgery I was back in hospital 1 day later after I started vomiting up a lot of blood where I had to have surgery again to fix the issue. Doing both is great for the recovery process only going once but it is not beneficial in the short term