Hello, good people. I had some troubles with breathing due to my nose problems. I went to see an ENT specialist and he diagnosed me deviated septum. I would like to know if this condition has to be operated since my specialist recommended me so. I would appreciate all your replies. Thanks.

Ideally it would be for your septum to be located centrally in your nose. In many people this isn’t the case. The first step in the treatment isn’t surgery. If this septum does not cause any problem, then there is no need for any kind of treatment. However, if it does, then treatment is necessary. Usually doctors recommend decongestants. These medications reduce the swelling of nasal mucosa. It helps air to pass easier. Antihistamines can also be recommended for reducing allergy symptoms. Cortisone spray can also be applied for reducing inflammation. However, all these measures do not fix the deviation.

Hi, there. Since your specialist recommends an operation, I guess you need one. In fact, this is the only way to solve your problem permanently. The surgical procedure is called septoplasty. It is usually recommended if there are frequent sinusitis, nose bleeds and significant airway obstruction. During this procedure, your septum is being repositioned to the center. This may mean that your surgeon needs to cut some parts of your septum. The procedure is being done through nostrils, so no skin incisions are necessary. You don’t need to be afraid of having scars later. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello, everyone. I think that surgery is the only permanent solution for your problem. If you are having serious problems with it, then go for the surgery option. The improvement after surgery will depend on how serious your deviation was. Nasal obstruction and nose bleeds are usually solved with this procedure. However, surgery cannot solve everything. It cannot solve things like allergy symptoms or accompanying sinus condition. You should discuss this with your specialist. Please, let me know what you decide. Good luck!