Excuse me for asking what might well be a stupid question, but can anyone please explain the difference between diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus to me? From what I know, diabetes mellitus is when you have insulin resistance or lack insulin production altogether. So what is diabetes insipidus then? What are the key differences?

My roommate, back at college, had diabetes insipidus and as much as I can remember he had problems with frequent urinations. He used to drink a lot of water, to compensate for the frequent urinations.

I think that diabetes insipidus is not similar to diabetes mellitus. Diabetes mellitus is characterized by insulin deficiency and as a matter of fact diabetes mellitus is far more common than diabetes insipidus. They have some similar symptoms, but it really is all up to testing your urine to see if you have diabetes insipidus. Main symptom of diabetes insipitus is of course dehydration, so you have to be precious if you are getting dehydrated all the time. You should go for a checkup if you are able.