Hi, I am father of 10 years old boy who is suffering from diabetes type 1. My soon experienced first signs of this disorder several years ago when I was divorcing from my wife. I think that stress mainly provoked this disorder so I feel responsible for it. I would like to know what effects may show from type 1 diabetes.

Hi, type 1 of diabetes mellitus mainly affects children. It is impossible to say what is the cause for this disorder but stress may provoke such condition. Anyway it is very difficult to say that stress may cause it. If there is not proper control of blood sugar level it may cause many bad effects on someone's health. It may cause peripheral neuropathy, hypo or hyperglycemia and even blindness in poorly treated and poorly controlled cases. Frequent urination and dehydration accompanied with taking of huge amounts of water, are everyday symptoms which may be seen when there is low level of insulin in blood.

What kind of response is that?  You should be alleviated from your fears, not hit harder..... I have been diabetic since I was 10, and am now 49.  I am happily married with 2 healthy boys and am very happy.  What your child will encounter is an adjustment, and then the ability to self-control.  You become responsible very quickly, but that is not a bad thing, if done with the right attitude.  The hardest periods for me was a child, wanting to fit in and be like everyone else, but it seems that now things are so open, it's discussed openly - for me, it was a secret and nobody knew, including teachers....  I think having positive support from you, not being made to feel that 'you're not allowed' to have something helps..  Help your son come to terms with the fact that he shouldn't have certain things because they will make him feel badly.  It's an adjustment in diet & lifestyle, but he will soon be a healthy eater.  I think that as your body changes, you have to constantly adjust to your body's insulin needs, so regular visits to an outstanding endocrinologist is the way to go (don't just settle for a mediocre doctor).  It helps to know someone, anyone else who has type I (I never met anyone else who had it as a child). 
Did your divorce cause it? NO.  Did the emotional upheaval set it off?  Maybe.  I remember that my onset came in the fall, and after a scare I had...are you aware that studies link diabetes to a virus that manifests in the fall - and that it is likely that you carried the potential for type I long before it manifests?  Dont' be burdened by guilt.  It is not your fault, your ex-wife's fault or your divorce's fault.  

The best thing you can be is supportive - no guilt. no fear.  That's what your son needs from you.

i have a 9 year old grandson that was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in nov 2009. lately he has had some very low blood glucose readings and today that had to rush him to the hospital because of seizures. at the time of diagnoses his blood sugar was 984. we desperatley need a diabetic doctor around where we live. which is hayward wi. how do we find one

Hello ISight. I have been Type 1 since i was 10 and am now 52. I have 3 healthy, grown children and 3 grandchildren. You are comments are dead on, which I generally don't say that. It takes someone like us, who have lived with this disease since childhood, to help other kids.

Great job!

I am 19 and type one diabetic since 15 and let me tell you life has been a little altered but i have lived normal and done done great things. Im in college and im a sophomore now. no stress does not contribute. It could be genetic or and act of god himself. keep the faith