Hello, folks. My friend was discovered diabetes mellitus last week. I think he started with therapy, but I am not sure which one. I would like to know what the treatment options are for this disease. I have heard that people take insulin, but is there anything else? I would appreciate your help with this.

Hi, there. Treatment of diabetes mellitus is complex. First, the patient should practice regular exercise. Another step is diet. If only diet is not enough, then there are oral hypoglycemic medicines. If this is not enough for regulating blood sugar, then insulin must be introduced into treatment. These steps are more for type 2 diabetes. Treatment of type 1 usually starts with insulin which is necessary. For more details, it would be best to consult nutritionist or endocrinologist. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!