I am a student of a medicine. I would like to know something which I can not find in my books. It is about the memory loss. Actually I would like to know what the difference between dementia and mild cognitive impairment is. I have an exam in couple of days and I would appreciate any help about this matter.

Those books you are reading should be updated. Mild cognitive impairment is a recent term that describes the people who has problems with their memory but they don't have dementia. This condition is very important to be noticed by a specialist. It is important because early diagnoses can prevent Alzheimer's disease or dementia.

Hi there,
Well Adolpho is I am not mistaking the dementia and mild cognitive impairment is the same thing. This is also called chronic brain syndrome or Lewy body dementia. As you can see this condition has many names but basically it is the same thing. It is characterized by problems with mental function such as language problems, memory problem and emotional behavior problems. There are several more things that can be symptoms of mild cognitive impairment as perception problems and cognitive skills. Cognitive skills are calculations or abstract thinking or judgment problem. I know that people have difficulties to perform more than one task at a time or when they have to make decisions.
All the best,
Danella