I have been having diarrhea once a month for the past 9 months or so. It happens right after I eat dinner (all different kinds of food have caused it ranging from soup to chicken) I get awful stomach pains, then I have diarrhea for 1-2 hours. After that, I am tired, but feel fine (other than some minor gas pains). I have been to the doctor twice and he has done bloodwork, urinalysis, and x-rays (all normal). Both times, he thought I had the flu or a virus. Sometimes I get a rash on my stomach, legs, and arms during these 'attacks' and my feet are very itchy. I do not get a fever, and twice I have vomited, along with the diarrhea. They first started when I was ovulating, now I am getting them right before or during my period. The rest of the month, I have no problems (normal bowels). Any idea what it could be or does it seem to be that I just keep getting a virus?

Sounds like a food allergy.

Dear Jade

It's interesting to hear your complaint as I have also suffered with a similar problem for a couple of years. When it happens it is usually very urgent (painful) and very quickly expelled and smells terrible. Not pleasant - dark water and oily pale diarrhea floats on surface. It only happens once or up to three days in a row and then everything resumes to normal. I'm sure it seems linked with hormones as when it happens it always seems to occur upto 2 weeks preceding period, sometimes just about on start of or during period. BUT it does not happen every month. When I fell pregnant I got it in the first week and then again just when going into labour.
Did you investigate food allergy suggestion from rpupkin? have you made any discoveries? If any professionals can shed light on this I, too, would be most grateful.

Jade, I have almost exactly the same symptoms as you. (Apart from the ovulating - I'm a guy ;-)

I don't get the rash or itchy feet but the rest is the same - straight after eating about once a month.

I really wonder what this is. I'm going to get tested for food allergies to see if that could be the culprit.

Well, during your period you tend to retain water so your stools tend to soften, so it isn't uncommon for one to have dirrhea during this time. The other symptoms may just be your body reacting to hormone levels. 

hello all, I also have very similar symptoms. here are my stats i'm 30 YO, male, 200lbs.  and my symptoms are i would get diarrhea/or very soft pale stool, and not normal odor.  Every month for 5 months now, for 4-5 straight days i would have a bowel movement that is exacerbated by drinking fluids.  it seems like any fluids i drink, i expel thru my bowels.  its very painful.  also another symptom is, i have a dull, pressure pain in the right upper quadrant of my abdomen.  i looked it up it could be my gall bladder and problems with gall stones or an infection.  As far as I know, I have no food allergies (i hope not cause i love to eat).  Could it be an chronic infection?  I have no other symptoms, no fever, oral thrush, swollen lymph nodes, weakness, cough, etc.  I am so frightened that it is a STD, Infection, or HIV.  I am so afraid of taking the HIV test (Oraquick) at home to know for sure.  I think about it everyday.  But i know that i will have to get tested ASAP!!! I had a couple of episodes of unprotected sex, bad decision, i know, and I have no one else to blame but myself.  But can ya'll give me some insight to how to resolve this or a direction i can go. Please help!!!

Anyone ever find a fix? I am having the same issue and its terrible.

I have this same exact problem. About every three months I get very terrible diarrhea for one day and a lot of burping and the belching stinks like farts. It makes me feel so terrible that I even started to think I was HIV positive. I went to CVS and purchased the oraquick HIV test. Thank the lord Jesus the test results were negative and I can rule out the possibility of HIV/AIDS. I was very nervous waiting for the results but was very relieved that the test was negative. I encourage everyone to use the test it's very quick and easy results. Now that I know I am not HIV POSITIVE I can go to my doctor and figure out why I'm having intestinal issues.

Has anyone ever considered parasites? My son is having these issues and my instincts are telling me that's what it us. He has had diarrhea and bad stomach pains every month for three or four months.

I have the same issue and it happens towards the end of my period and I still don't know what's wrong ( currently going threw in at this second so I decided to google it )

Still no clue? I'm also having this problem except it last 2 or 3 days for me. I'll have an attack and then I will be fine for 3 to 4 weeks and then out of no where I'll have yet another. And on the second day I will sometimes get this horrible pain just below my bellybutton, as if someone is jabbing a knife in there. That pain comes and goes for about a day, it isn't constant. I've had these episodes for about 5 months now. What's worse is the diarrhea. About 12 hours all the way to 24 to 36 hours I will not be able to eat or drink anything without rushing to the bathroom. The past two attacks I've had to stay home from work on day two of my illness. I just got over my last attack yesterday, which is why I'm here looking for answers.

My daughter has been having diarrhea once a month for a the past year. She took breath test and was diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). She will be taking Xifaxamin (a very powerful antibiotic) to try to kill the bacterial. Praying that will prove to the a cure. She will be following a "Low Fodmap" diet after that.