My 7 yr old son had a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy on Feb.9(6 days ago) Of course he was in a fair bit of pain the first few days, and he hasn't slept well at all since the surgery. He wakes up numerous times throughout the night crying and it seems as though he is having nightmares! Is this normal? It seems almost impossible to settle him down, and once I do, within a couple hours he is up again crying, and seems very out of it!! We were told to give him Children's Tylenol every 4 hours, so we have been. He really hasn't eaten much of anything since the operation, and will only drink water if anything at all. I have been after him to drink drink drink...but it hurts and he is not too willing. Do you think it is pain that is waking him or could he be having some post op nightmares? Look forward to your reply. Thanks

Our son is 5 and had his tonsils out 8 days ago. He started the "night terrors" about 4-5 days after the surgery. He is also waking up in the middle of the night. Usually about 1-2 hours after he falls asleep and then sometimes every hour after that until about 3-4 hours before he wakes up. Those last 3-4 hours are usually the most peaceful. Our doctor said it is usually caused by the narcotics. Apparently, they affect the brain and cause the night terrors. I did some internet research on night terrors and some people had luck by sticking their child's feet in cool water or leaving socks off their feet and not covering them. We tried that last night - no luck! But it might work for you. Good luck!

Hi, I am 16 yrs old, I found for about 3 days after my surgery I had the worst nightmares ever, I think it was just all the meds. I'm on day 8 and I still get some pretty wacky dreams but not as bad as the first couple of days.

it is most probably just medication. i am 25 and still have weird dreams post surgery and on meds.

My son is 34 months old and just had his tonsils and adenoids out last week on April 12th. He has gone thru the usual not eating, etc, but our problem is he wakes up every night since Sunday (3 days post op) every hour during the night. I have called his Dr's office 3 times but they aren't offering any help in this matter. He can'e be comforted no matter what we do, and my husband and I have to take turns sleeping in shifts. Does this sound familiar? I thought at first that it was nightmares of some sort too, since they come and rip your child from your arms with them screaming, and take them away to surgery! When our son finally woke up, one of the frist things he said while holding his throat was"They cut Me"! Now we didn't know that they were taking his tonsils out until 15 minutes after they came and took him away, so I know he never heard us say anything about "cutting" him. We just thought that was too weird, and also, a few days later, he held his hand over his mouth and nose and said this is what Dr. *** did to me!

Hi

I just read your posting regarding your 34 month old son.

Correct me if im wrong but isnt it against the law to do any surgery on a minor without prior written consent by their parent or guardian?

I dont understand why then he was going into surgery without anybody knowing what was happening to him.

Anyway-Im sure if he was getting the op, the doctor would have probably have told him before they put him under - they always do.

Regarding the nightmares - im exactly the same - im 3 days into it and im dreaming about them being cauterised and smelling the burning. Im also dreaming about Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog but i think thats down to getting back to childhood and feeling vulnerable.

I hope your kid has come thru all of this

I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all. What do you mean they ripped your child out of your arms and did not know they were taking his tonsils out until 15 min later? Either way, I'm sure upon waking up from that surgery that he knew that's what was done by how it feels (as if something was cut out of your throat) and that him covering his mouth and nose as the doctor did was in reference to when a gas mask was put on him for him to go under the anesthesia required to perform the surgery.

Please let me know how long the night terrors last. What my 8 year old is experiencing sounds a lot like your child. I never thought about terrors. I just assumed he was in pain. Does this go away? When? We've had some really LONG nights and I am so completely exhausted. I don't know how to help him other than holding him and calming him enough for him to fall asleep again.

My son is 7 and had surgery 6 days ago and I thought maybe it was just him as he's always been a restless sleeper, but he too seems to be experiencing these "night terrors." I have been lucky to get 2 hours of sleep at a time since he had surgery, except for the one morning my husband was home from work and able to sit up with him. He'll cry out in his sleep and thrash around. He hadn't taken any codiene for 2 days becuase he was more able to deal with the pain then the nausea from the hydrocodone. He was still having them. Last night the outburst turned into him wide awake and crying in pain. He finally took the pain medicine and was able to get about 4 hours of good sleep. If anyone has any suggestions to this please share.

My son was doing exactly the same...waking up crying and thrashing...this is the time the scabs are falling off so they start hurting again. The codiene will burn going down because that area is raw (for lack of a better word). I was told by my doctor to use a humidifier. THAT WORKED WONDERS!!! Get one and let your child sleep close to it. This will prevent him from drying out while he's asleep. I know the two hour thing. Not fun at all. We went back today for our post-op (day 14) and everything is healing perfectly. Thank God!! I was completely drained. I could only imagine how he felt. Good Luck!!

I was very surprised to find a topic regarding the night terrors after a tonsillectomy. My 6 year old son had his exactly a week ago today. He was fine walking into surgery with the dr. and he did wonderful eating on his 2nd day and never complained about pain once and only needed his pain meds for the first 3-4 days. The past 3 nights though he repeatedly wakes up crying and it's very hard to comfort him back to sleep, last night he woke up twice and told me that he was having bad dreams about the hospital. I guess there's not a lot we can do as parents but to reassure them we're there and hope the effects of the medication wear off soon..I really don't like feeling so helpless and I feel bad for him. :-(

I was prescribed codeine after my (2nd) tonsillectomy and about 4 days into it I started pretty much hallucinating and having these crazy dreams that I couldn't tell if they were real or fake. It was crazy. And I made me feel like snakes were crawling all over the inside of my body. I had to stop taking the codeine even though I was in a lot of pain because it was driving me crazy I couldn't sleep.

My 3 year old son had his tonsils and adenoids removed and ear tubes placed on Friday, September 5th. He did fine the next day or so, trying to eat and sleeping well at night. Recently he has stopped eating and drinking. This past Thursday we took him to the ER where he had to have IV fluids. They told us to give him regular Tylenol instead of the one with codeine and to make sure he drinks and eats a lot. What part of he won't eat and barely drinks do they not understand? So now for three nights he wants me right at his side as he's going to sleep. Then he wakes up crying like he's in pain and scared. It takes so long to finally comfort him. When he does finally go back to sleep he wakes up an hour later and does it all again! I am at my wits end! Are these night terrors? How long do they last? And is it normal for my son to have eaten only a few things of pudding in the past week and a half after the surgery? I feel like I"m going insane here!

Oh, I am so glad to have found this topic.

My 4 1/2 year old had her tonsils out on the 12th and we have been dealing with this for at least 5 days. She wakes up screaming and won't even let me touch her. She starts hitting me and throwing herself around if I do. I thought something was seriously wrong with her. I am glad to see that others have experienced it. We stopped the Lortab after 4 days as she wasn't have a bowel movement, so it's been 6 days since she's had any of that. Please tell me these are going to end soon?? I can't handle another night of only 2 hours of sleep in a row. My husband gets up for work at 3:30 am, so he can't help much at all.

I just wanted to share my story... If your like me you have searched at all hours of the night for the answer to the dreadful question... When will the Night Terrors stop? My son (almost 7 years old) had his tonsils taken out on 12-12-08 & the night terrors started the second night. (same as the others, he would just start screaming about 45min to an hour after he fell asleep) He didn't like for us to hug him & he would stiffen his body & throw it back & forth. It was scary. His eyes were usually open & sometimes he would yell for Mom or Dad. (which we were both already there) He would do this every 2-3 hours for about 30 minutes each time. Well, by Christmas Eve.(10 days after surgery) he was only doing it once or twice a night. By day 14 it stopped completely. Now he sleeps through the night with no problem. It was a long two weeks.. So if this is similar to your story, there is light at the end of the tunnel. (by the way I was alternating Motrin & Tylenol very regularly- we only used the hydrocodone for the first 3 or 4 days, I thought it may be the problem-but I don't think it was---for him) Good luck! I hope this helps.