Hello, folks. My sister in law was diagnosed kidney cancer and she had her kidney removed. I wonder whether some diet restrictions are necessary after kidney removal. What can you tell me about this? I would appreciate if someone could tell me something more. Thanks for all your help. Bye, folks!

Hello, there. Kidney removal is also known as nephrectomy. Your sister in law’s doctor will tell you if she needs any diet restrictions. Usually, if your other kidney is functioning properly, you won’t need any diet limiting. Drinking plenty of fluid is recommended. Your sister in law can make this situation to improve her diet. Let her take more fruit and vegetables. Constipations is possible due to painkillers. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!

My brother in law had same surgery and was given no direction as to diet. So this means noneI presume. It would be nice to find a site to give more info to help him understand.

I had a right nephrectomy in 1990 and I am now 48 years old. I'm in good health, excercise regulary, and eat lots of fruit, vegetables, nuts, fiber, etc. I work out a lot and was wondering about high protein diets. I've heard that high protein may not be the best thing for people with only one kidney. Is that true?

Thanks,
Art