Hi, folks. My sister’s kid had some kidney problems. He went to an ultrasound and there doctors discovered that he had hypoplasia of the right kidney. I would like to know what this means for his health. I hope someone will provide me with more info considering this post. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. Hypoplasia means that the number of calyces is decreased. Later in life, number of tubules is also decreased. Symptoms usually start early in childhood. The kid has polyuria and polydipsia. The blood analyses show electrolyte disturbances. Unfortunately, many patients end up with renal failure in the second decade. I hope your sister’s kid will be all right. I hope I’ve helped a little. Good luck!

Celebrity
Can you tell me please what the syptoms are please for Hypoplasia. My daughter has kidney probs. She has had loads of tests.
We know she has a duplex kidney on the left side an it has slight scaring but she always has red blood cells in her urine.
Thanks