I had my gall bladder removed in December of 2007 due to several gall stones. Since having the surgery I have gained a significant amount of weight. I am 20 years old and am on a reduced calorie diet. I am desperate to lose the extra weight. Can anyone help or relate?

Usually after gallbladder removal patients cannot digest high fat, large meals, and certain types of foods. More often, removal of the gallbladder causes weight loss. Bile still flows into the intestine, but fat digestion may be less efficient.

1. Consult a dietician to help you look at your food intake and food choices. (People who eat excessive amounts of starch are prone to gain weight. The foods such as bread, pasta, rice, and beans contain an excess of starch). A healthy diet should include foods such as adequate protein, fruit, and organic vegetables.

2. Assess your level of physical activity and capability. Ask your doctor to do an exercise tolerance test.

3. Visit the following website to read about weight and caloric burning.

primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm

4. Ask your doctor about using medications, such as orlistat, to assist in weight loss.

5. It is important to understand all of the medications you may taking and whether any of these could contribute to your weight gain.

I had my gall bladder removed 2009, I am much older 71 since having it done I have gained 2 stone and would also like to get rid of the weight. I eat very little as it is, and have Divaticulitis, irritable bowl and Hiatis Hernia. I keep busy but afraid the weight just wont go. I do hope you soon find the answer to your problem as you are so young.