Hi, folks. My sister in law was on ultrasound and she has been discovered with ectopic kidney. I know that this is a kidney with abnormal position in the body. I would just want to know if it can function normally. Does anyone know to answer me this? I hope someone will.

Hi, there. You are right. Ectopic kidney is a birth defect in which kidney has abnormal position. Usually, people don’t have any symptoms. I guess this was also your sister in law’s case. In some cases, symptoms are possible. Ectopic kidney then can cause infection, urine blockage or urinary stones. The incidence is 1 to every 1000 births. I hope this can help you. Bye!

Hello there,

Since your sister in law has discovered that she has ectopic kidney I presume she had an ultrasound and that this was a test for discovering something. usually people who are born with this defect never find out about it unless ectopic kidney cause some damage or complications. This is usually related with the urinary tract issues and then it is discovered the presence of the ectopic kidney.

Sometimes there are few symptoms which are related with the urinary tract issues but most of the time ectopic kidney is asymptomatic.

If there is need for surgery I believe that the doctor is going to recommend it to your sister in law but usually there isn’t.