Hi all,

I am really struggling to find any info specifically relating to my situation online.

I have had kidney problems since the age of about 14 - I am now 21. I have had lots of operations and tests/treatments in the past. Resulting in the final decision to remove the troublesome kidney (Right side) - the other kidney functions almost perfectly. I had an open nephrectomy (Kidney removal) on 11th Mar 07. I am now recovering well and much better health than I have been for a long time. My Husband and I have been desperate for a baby for a few years - we lost a baby 2 1/2 years ago due to complications from the pressure on my kidney - which was functioning well untill I became pregnant. We were at 12 weeks when we lost the baby.

I am really struggling to find advice on how long is a safe period of time to wait post-op to start trying for a baby. And if there is a safe period after having strong medications - I have only been off morhene tablets (Severadol) for 1 month and am still on DF118 (Diahydracodeine) and Dicloffenac as well as paracetamol, anti-sickness tablets and anti-spasmostics.

Any advice would be most appreciated, as I really would like to have a goal of a time frame til we can try - my Husband turns 30 next week and he is starting to feel his time is running out I think (Although he hasn't mentioned this.

Best wishes

Joy.

Hi -
I am looking for the same information.

I had kidney problems as a child as well. I had a nephrectomy of the left kidney at 24 years old. I am 28 now and I am 32 weeks pregnant. My right kidney is healthy, and is bigger than normal because it grew to compensate for the sick kidney.

I am having extreme pain in my right kidney that started at about 27 weeks. My doctor said that it is just normal pressure from the baby that will cause the kidney to swell. He said that it will be worse for me because my kidney is big anyway. He says I shouldn't worry, but I've had other doctors tell me that I should take extreme precaustions. I'm very worried becuase I would like to be around to watch the baby grow.

Good Luck to you!

I had a partial open nephrectomy on my right kidney to remove a cancerous tumor in Dec 2011. I am now 27 weeks pregnant & experiencing a lot of pain in & around the surgery site. I am not a pill popper, try & naturally alleviate most pain, but this is intense pain. Makes me feel ill. I've had 2 UTI's since becoming pregnant & been on anti-biotics. Like you girls I am struggling to find any info on this scenario. I'm not sure how much more pain I can handle & worry that it's more than pressure pain. I've had another urine test & blood test & booked in for ultra-sound just waiting for results.

Hi to anybody reading this, I had my first Son in 2012 after having my kidney removed in 2009 & experienced no problems with my remaining kidney but some pain in the "wound site" aka where the scar tissue was from the removed kidney; but nothing too immense that I took any pain relief other than stopping. & sitting down. My remaining kidney was perfectly healthy though-out pregnancy & labour! I am now early pregnant with my second & already experiencing quite high levels of pain in the "wound site" I have not felt the need for pain relief yet but believe it will come! I think everyone is different & their bodies react differently to the immense pressure that is pregnancy! Good luck ladies!

I donated my left kidney two years ago & the surgeon advised not to get pregnant for at least 1 year. The baby does lie, however, on the right kidney, so there may be complocations that can be fixed with a stent for the remainder of the pregnancy. (Fingers crossed I won't need that). Hopefully you ladies have been able to have happy, healthy pregnancies since this post.