Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can help me.....i had my gall bladder removed 7 days ago and have been feeling a little tender but not in pain and have been getting on with normal day to day life....6 kids so i kind of had to .......2 days ago i noticed a dull ache in my back (right side) around my kidney area just above my hip... its getting worse by the day and today i can barely move :-/ its like a big pinching pain, every time i breath in it kind of grabs me and really hurts.....having trouble walking too...i have never had kidney problems befor and im really not sure if it is kidney...i think it might just be muscle.....but it hurts soooo much....i think maybe because of the surgery i am maybe walking differently to compensate the tummy pain and may have stretched or even pulled a muscle..... just wondering if any one has experienced this before??? i have made a doctors appointment for this afternoon but dont want to go if it is just muscle because there is nothing really that they can do for that.... if anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Hi! My sister has her gallbladder removed in 1998 when she was 20 years old. The doctor told her that it was the worst case of gallstones that he had ever seen in someone her age. Twelve years later, and she's still complaining about her phantom pain once every 3 or 4 months. They say that it is a common thing after gallbladder removal. It is also common to have the pain in your back, usually on the right side, or pain under the breastbone. But she's glad to have her gallbladder removed. She says that the phantom pain is nothing compared to pain during gallbladder attacks.

Back pain after gallbladder surgery is quite common. A lot of patients actually have their symptoms come back after gallbladder surgery. This is called postcholecystectomy syndrome and it happens to up to 40% of all people who had their gallbladder removed. 

At the same time, since you also mention the possibility of there being something wrong with the kidneys, you should definitely get checked out. Back pain or kidney pain, they both present with quite similar symptoms in the minds of people who haven't had both, so you can't be sure what you are dealing with until you get diagnosed. 

I had my gallbladder removed 7 days ago, and have a phantom pain in the right side of my back too, its not there all the time just every now and then, it takes my breath away, but after reading many discussions about it i think its just something that happens, know one seems to have an answer for it, if i had of known this would happen i would of kept my gallbladder, i hadn't had an attack in 6 months. I think im going to go insane if this keeps up forever.

I hope you got some answers from your doctor today. I had surgery two weeks ago and today I started having mid/back (liver area) and right side pain and it has gotten much more intense. It is horribly painful (1-10 is a 8). I don't know what caused it but it feels muscular, but who knows (cramping muslces,spasms) I am not sure what the problem is. I will call my doctor tomorrow. Hope you get some answers too and feel better.