Hi, folks. My sister in law has been recently diagnosed with nocardiosis. I must admit that I have never before heard about this disease. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me something more about the most efficient medication therapy for this disease. Thank you in advance, guys! Bye, folks!

Hi, there. Nocardiosis is usually caused by weakened immune system. Strengthening of this system must be an important part of the treatment. The most recommended antibiotics here are sulfonamides. Usually, the patients well respond to this treatment. However, some patients may not act like this. Then different antibiotics must be given. For instance, minocycline is recommended for skin manifestation of nocardiosis. I hope this helps. Bye

Hi, guys. Sulfonamides are indeed the antibiotics of choice for nocardiosis. However, nocardiosis had tendency of making abscesses on certain locations in organism. If this happens, then just medication therapy won’t be enough. In these cases a surgical drainage must be performed besides antibiotics. Only then you can expect successful treatment. I don’t know what kind of manifestation your sister in law has. In any way, I wish her all the best. Good luck with all. Bye!