Hello, folks. My mother in law has been suffering from elbow osteoarthritis for years. Her case is so advanced that her rheumatologist recommends her surgery. I would like to know what the mobility of this joint is after this kind of surgery. Can anyone tell me something more about this? I would appreciate it.

Hi, there. Elbow osteoarthritis can really impair the mobility of this joint. In most cases there was some kind of trauma of this joint in the past. Surgery is usually recommended when conservative treatment cannot help anymore. I guess this is your mother in law’s case since she was recommended an operation. In many cases this kind of operation indeed improves the mobility of the joint. This depends what the range of cartilage damage is. If this is serious, you cannot expect miracles. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello, everyone. I would agree that your mother in law’s condition is serious since her doctor recommends her surgery. When all the medicines, painkillers and physical therapy cannot help anymore, surgery is the next logical solution. There are various methods. In many cases it really improves the mobility of a joint. It can also reduce pain in many cases. However, there are cases where it cannot help much since they are too serious. I would recommend you to talk to that rheumatologist thoroughly and see all pros and cons. I hope everything will be all right. Bye!