i was wondering if anyone has had difficulty swallowing after having a parathyroidectomy. I had one two weeks ago and I'm having some problems with swallowing, especially pills of any kind.

Sorry to hear about your swallowing problem. I have never been a pill person and have to hold my head back to swallow a pill,so for the first copule of days, that was a problem but now, my neck isn't as sore and I can bend my head backward. I had a slight sore throat for about 2 days after surgery but after that time, its not a problem. It does hurt to cough but swallowing is fine now. Other than that, are you feeling better since surgery? What symptoms did you have that led you to surgery? I mean, kidney problems, muscle aches? I know you had the high calcium but I mean other problems that led you to have surgery and are they better now?

my swallowing is better, however, it does appear to come and go now. I think, it therefore, is not actually a mechanics issue but possibly related to anxiety?? i can live with it. As for my symptoms presurgery, i had multiple ones--headaches, labile hypertension, indigestion, fatigue big time, poor concentration, short term memory difficulties, muscle aches and weakness, to name a few. Most of those have been resolved and I have energy and initiative to get things done!!!! hallelujah!

Your last sentence sounds exactly like I feel. I had my surgery on the 28th and on the 2nd, I was out a lot and today I think I am paying the price. On the 2nd, I felt great but today, not so much. I need to keep in mind that the incision on the outside is not the entire surgery. Good luck on your recovery.