Since last Sept (yes, thats a LONG time) I have had numerous tests with no diagnosis as to why this is going on or how we can fix it. I am miserable and feel at the end of my rope. I have bad days and I have worse days. Sometimes I can overcome the pain mentally and have a decent day. I am thankful to be alive and to not have been diagnosed with anything life-threatening, however I am scared to death that there has not been a diagnosis and I hate being in pain with discomfort every day of my life. I am 28 and I have 2 young children. I want to be the best mom I can be and enjoy life.
Everything started with a rash and my throat feeling like it was closing. Allergic reaction is your first thought right? Well benedryl got rid of the rash but the throat thing never went away. A hospital stay, and numerous tests later I am still the same. Every test was negative. No acid reflux, no cancer, no tumor, nothing. My symptoms started off with just a difficult to swallow feeling. When I would swallow it would feel like my throat was just squeezing extra tight. Then it went to feeling like I was choking after eating. Like the food was sticking in my throat and I would gag and gag and the feeling would not go up or down. Then it went to irritation. My throat burns and hurts when I eat or drink certain things, which I now avoid. It hurts when I swallow, feeling like my throat is large and swollen. I have no trouble breathing, although I developed a cough and cold this past month that will not go away and my throat feels a million times worse at the moment. The last doc I saw said that he felt the muscles were not relaxing and tightening normally but he did not have the equipment for testing there an so I am being sent 4 hrs from my home to do some testing there. Great...But the muscle prob does not explain the inflammation or redness of the area. My ENT keeps saying it is reflux---LPR--however I took the meds for 3 weeks at the get go and it caused lots of probs with my stomach and constipation. After the ph metry test my GI assured me there was no way I had LPR and told me not to take it again. So there you go...two docs with two different views. What do I do? At this point my life has been wrecked. I have no quality of life. I wake up each day in pain and go to bed each night in pain. I can't figure out any triggers as I'm trying to do anything I can to relieve the problem but there is no relief. Some days I think I am dying and no one knows yet. Sounds dramatic but that is how it feels. I have constant belching but I was belching during the reflux test and no acid showed up. So where is this air coming from and does it have something to do with the throat irritation? The docs can't even answer that question. I guess I just needed to vent as I am having a pretty rough day today. Has anyone had similar probs? Anyone ever had a normal ph metry and still have LPR? I just want a little ray of hope. Its been 6 mons of agony.

Hi.

yes i too have started getting same experiences as you have & its not very pleasant.

i am more afraid to find out what issue is & for that reason i have not gone to see a doctor for it, basically just hopingit will go away.

now that you say its been 6month, i now know its not going to go away.

swallowing hasn't been too bag but i do notice at times (maybe because i am conversating w/ some one while have food in mouth) it does get a bit out of ordinary to swallow :( again just trying to look the other way.

my pain feels like some one has got a grip on my throat & w/ that comes panic & other times i feel i have to burp to get what ever air trapped, out to get a bit of relief.

i'm more afraid i will pass out  where i stand one of these days. (even worst while i'm driving or while stuck in traff.)

i tried diff. things @ times.. coffee dries it up more, tap water also (maybe cause coffe has tap water?) o.J. is fine @ times but then saliva gets too thick & then makes difficult to swallow. recently i had cambells chicken noodle soup & got thet tightness reaction shortly after so i think sodium (salt) plays another role in there.

the fact thati have allergies makes it even worst when i have nasal drip (back of throat) it feels like it pooled some where on way down &  won't go further even when i swallow.

going to sleep also seems scary @ times cause i feel i may not wake up from "choking feeling" so i'm miserable from that too.i have however noticed that when i take a bit of Nyquil, it tends to lessen the misery a bit, (works better than allergy pills too)

another thing i tried is relaxing, which helps @ times & i can feel throat ease up a bit, allowing a long expellsion of air to exscape. i  think stress plays a role in this as well.. quite possible we may be experiencing a new genre of stress related symptoms?

i drink once in while but recently added a lil more than usual, to combat my stress. lastly i don't smoke but will take a few drags from a good cigar & then put it out saving for long while. i am a cyclist so i'm always riding 30-80miles on weekends (fewer durring week) & i'm in the gym @ least 4 or 5xs a week so i'm pretty healthy  for 38ys @ 180lbs (mostly muscle)

hmmm maybe has to do w/ work we do??

Hi! Wow, you seem to be extremely healthy. Odd to have this prob pop up on you huh? I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this. It's very difficult. I do hope that you do not get worse and I agree that stress and/or anxiety plays a role in this as well. In my case, I don't think its the only explanation but I do know it gets way worse if I'm in a stressful situation or if I cry even! I am seeing a psychologist now who agrees with that statement. He explained that internalizing stress can really begin to cause physical symptoms that are often times unexplainable through medical science...great right?! I did see the other specialist and was told that I most likely have a muscle dysfunction disorder in my upper esophageal splincter and upper throat muscles along with nerve damage. How does a 28 year old wake up from a nap with that?!!!! They are running a few more tests but the outcome looks like I'm just going to have to deal with it. I get that saliva not wanting to go down feeling everyday! I know what you mean. If I drink milk, especially it's bad. My diet consists of very bland foods, since anything with spice or flavoring makes my throat burn these days. Liquids are the worse at making me belch and causing the tightness to be the worse. Odd isn't it? So I try to drink the bulk of my liquids during the day at meal times. Having the solids go down with the liquid lessens the effect. Also chewing gum or sucking on hard candy also alleviates the tightness sometimes- you should try that. I really completely understand the fear of passing out or not waking up. When the first started I was panic stricken! I thought for sure, at the worse tight moments, I was going to stop breathing even! But now, since 6 mons have passed I can keep telling myself during the worse moments that I am not going to do either of those things and to just chill out until it passes. Maybe that will help you too. And you should get checked out. The basic test is the larynoscopy done by an ENT and they can be sure there is nothing serious wrong with your voicebox ad reassure you that you are not going to stop breathing and that although it feels like torment, it's gonna be okay :) Also I am sure their first diagnosis will be LPR because ppl who present with are symptoms are almost always given anti-reflux meds when they are seen. Good Luck! And please keep me posted. Success story would be awesome!

good morning :)

thanks for your reply & more light into this issue (frankly it is an issue) i guess there will always be more things that will pop up w/ this.

yeah i gave up spicy food which i love & though i don't generally eat very salty food, gave that up too :( even gave up beer..so far i've been conduction my own lil experiments..(beer triggers it too.) but not right away.. i will get tightness slowly progressing by next day. i've always tried to dilute milk (never liked full flavor) or even tried 1% & still add water or ice cubes (cause cereal w/ plain water just doesn't cut it ) also we are programed since lil rugrats that cereal goes w/ milk..lol

yesturday i tried something i'd never thought i'd go back to, coke. (no not the powder, the drink) lol..

just like Vodka, Coke has some benefits in other areas besides just making ya addicted to it. its supposed to be a thirst quencher & its helpped a bit, though i limit how much i drink (mainly sipping) in order to loose weight while in training to enter a few bike marathons, i gave up coke or pepsi  bout 5-6yrs ago in &  ever since i've not needed to "enjoy" the sugary soft drink. instead i drink ice tea..but that also dries up my throat now.. feels like some how i will end up going back to things that kept me chubby just to keep my throat lubricated ...sigh

i know @ my age most men are settling down & just keeping a normal routine (wake up, work, come home, t.v./dinner w/ family, sleep, repeat) i've broken that mold & addd so much to my life & am always active in almost anything..i was feeling ALIVE. now i gotta slow down..what a damper.

i guess i ignored a few things bout few months back. while on normal weekend ride w/ my ride buddy (road bike) we had already warmed up & were already doing steady 25mph, i was getting very dry in my throat, but i kept drinking my sport drink to piont it wasn't helping. also i noticed like my arteries (2 main one to left & right of throat) felt like they were tightening up every time i tried to swallow.. i went into panic & cut my ride short that day..this happened on & off several time to point i put off riding most weekends.. then i felt depression sortta creeping in due to my slacking off.. but it was a scarry feeling.

next came sing star.. (sortta like kareoke but ya earn points & you can battle singing against other, i considered myself a sophrano..lol) on & off @ times i had to sortta fake my sound. only cause air was getting trapped some where in my throat when i was swallowing & wouldn't allow me to belt out my notes. after getting beat few time (hated loosing..lol) i would try pushing myself harder on next  challenge to point i felt either i'm gonna pass out from beer or ???? (0_0)"  That also i brought down to slow ..we did lesser & lesser of those. in almost all of that seems beer & heavy, spicy or salty food played a role ( but thats a normal party, right)

now, just for simple lil stress that i imaging will happen next week, i get the tightness starting to creep on..then get a bit of headache too..it is very frustrating...

i've been trying out a bit of combatting this w/ mental control & helps a bit. we need our jobs, can't go running out every time i get this. think of it as yoga for your mind & throat :)

that sounds really painful! very similar to the situation i am facing. i feel like there are blades in my throat from the inside. doctor sent me on wild goose chase with all the same ideas like GERD and acid reflux etc but all those treatments didnt help. One thing did help though and you must try it. Homeopathy was really useful in controlling the symptom. However the situation resurrects every now and then. Try taking belladonna 30X for emergency and go to a homeo doc in your area- you wont regret it. Best of luck!

I have the throat thing as well. It starts out of the blue mid eating. I thought maybe I was inhaling food but it came on tonight when I was really taking my time eating. It hurts so bad and I noticed I get a real big saliva buildup in my mouth, I know, gross but spitting helps. Good luck and try to relax during these spells

i too lately have been having problems swallowing it feels as i have something stuck in my throat but is very low where the dip is at the bottom of my throat it is getting harder to swallow food and hurts if i drink coffee or tea but back of my throat feels fine. its as almost if i burp a burning feeling. any ideas

By this time you might be feeling better already, but if you are still suffering from globus pharyngeus, you might want to read this: http://www.wakehealth.edu/Health-Central/Swallowing-Expert-Says-Globus-Should-Be-Treated/ If you do have elevated pressure, and if it is because of your muscle spasm, it can be treated by a botox injection or by simple dilation. I am dealing with very similar symptoms as well. While they might be aggravated by anxiety, I do think that there is something physically wrong with my esophagus, and will try to get the simultaneous manometric and FEES exam. Good luck to you, I hope you are better! Indre

can i have a question?
how often you used to have the feeling of difficulty in swallowing, difficulty in breathing and sore throat due to gerd? i have been suffering from this problem since some 2 years ago. I am 23 years now.

Hi,I dont know if anybody will answer me or replay.But I am in kind of weird way happy that I am not alone.I have same simptoms like you all mentioned in your postings.This started 5 years ago.Did all tests,everything they told me to do.Took pills for heartburn ,benadryl...Nothing helped and here I am still dealing with this.I am losing weight even though I don't want to.Every meal is a big challenge for me.I would rather go without eating then sit for hour just to fill my stomach just enough not to feel hungry.I don't enjoy in food like I did before.I don't cook as much .But I was crazy about cooking,making cakes,cookies...So if you or anybody can help me or give me advice I will be waiting.

Btw I am mother of three girls.Thank you all!!!!Please if you can help me or give  advice send me an email.

Has anyone had any successful treatment or diagnosis yet? I am having all of these same symptoms as well. They have ran tons of tests and everything keeps showing up as normal. I have lost a lot of weight and am so miserable.

I'm getting the same thing. My doctor gave me Flonase to see if that helps. Nothing seems to be helping. I feel like something is stuck in my throat and difficulty swallowing food. I don't have pain in my throat it just feels exhausted, like the muscles have been worked out. I have done a endoscopy and every thing looked normal. Ive lost weight and cant eat. also lost my appetite. i have been reading alot and from what i gather its anxiety or a muscle spasm. Still waiting to see a treatment or diagnoses my self

Hi, I can understand how you feel, because I have similar symptoms for like 3 years already, mi problem is that I feel that the air is not going trough and the throat is close, at night is even worse, like you said the feeling is like you are going to die, and the quality of life is very poor. I went to see my regular doctor, she can of make fun of me, the ENT is all confused, now I just make an appointment with the cardiologyst, I had a MRI of neck and face, but It doesn't show anything, I am tired of this and very depressed.

'

Interesting, Coke helps me to feel better too. I can be so hungry, and usually it's the first bite I put in my mouth and everything tightens....miserable. Several times I have made myself vomit to feel better. Scary! I have found just sitting through the episode, quitting eating whatever it is and sipping on Coke....all helps to calm the flair up. Good luck to you and to ALL of us. Everyone tells me it's acid reflux, but I have been told by doctors that is not the case. Very frustrating. Seems the older I get, the more frequently it occurs (I'm 49). :/

I am 55 and my symptoms are getting more severe. That is why I am online looking for answers too. I get occasional leg cramps and that is the kind of feeling i get in my esophagus when swallowing liquid or food. Along with an over production of saliva. It only happens about once a week. I just deal with it for now.