Hi. I’m here to discuss chronic kidney failure in dogs. I know several people who have dogs with kidney problems and two of them have been recently diagnosed with kidney failure. I know the struggle of those people cause I have had problems with my dog’s kidneys myself. It wasn’t so bad, but still it was frustrating for both me and my dog. I wanted to ask all of you who have dogs and have had experience with kidney failure- can you suggest me, or should I say could you give me your opinion on what is the best treatment out there for kidney failure in dogs?

Hello there.

My sister is currently struggling with this problem. It is hard but she is doing everything for her dog.

She told me that there are some phases of treatment. In the first phase high dose of intravenous fluids are given to flush out the kidneys. This process is helping kidneys cells to function again.

Other important aspect of treatment in the first phase include proper nutrition and medications to control possible vomiting and possible diarrhea.

When treatment begins, your dog is going to feel sick and you should be prepared to this.

I don’t know about other phases because my sister’s dog is still on the first phase.

Well, the treatments are supposed to make the kidneys work less.

They usually recommend you to put your dog on a kidney diet. This diet includes eating of low protein food but the protein needs to be high in quality. That way you will reduce the waste that kidneys need to eliminate through urine.

If the diet thing doesn’t work, the vets need to go with more aggressive treatments that include hospitalization for fluid therapy, dialysis or even (if there’s nothing else left to do)  kidney transplantation.

The vet is there to determine what stage is your dog in and what’s the best treatment for him.

Hey there.

It depends because kidney failure in dogs can be acute or chronic. Acute kidney failure in dogs can be reversible, but chronic kidney failure needs to be monitored and treated during long period of time.

Treating can involve meds in case if cause of kidney failure is bacterial infection. Your  vet prescribe corticosteroids or even cyclosporine.

But in many cases cause is underlying or even unknown, and in this case it can’t be treated directly.

My friend Joshua have a dog that is diagnosed with kidney failure. The vet is treating his dog with fluid therapy. This therapy is used to treat dehydration.

Hi there.

I was reading recently that there are three possible phases of the treatments. It is not nice to say that there are no reliable tests that will predict the outcome.

Each case of chronic kidney failure is different and each case should be treated aggressively and monitored really closely.

Some dogs may respond to treatment and some of them may not.

Special diet program is your first option for this. Nutrition is one of the most effective treatments in dogs with chronic kidney failure. Ideal diet program is lower protein diet that is low in phosphorus and it is not acidified.  

Hello. One of ten dogs suffer from chronic kidney failure in dogs. Kidney disease occurs when one or even more of the primary functions of kidneys are compromised or reduced. Treatment options for chronic kidney disease are usually limited to treating the symptoms. Dialysis and kidney transplants are not available for dogs and the treatment should be the first option. You need to find the way to prevent this disease before it happens. But because this already happened, you need to be prepared that your dog is going to be a little bit aggressive and sick because of the therapy.

Unfortunately this is not something that can be cured.  :/ The only thing that can be done to help these dogs is to try to slow the rate at which the dog’s kidney tissue is lost and to find the best way to deal with the side effects of the loss.

Since kidney failure is a progressive disease, it can’t be stopped. It can only be slowed down.

The main goal is to use the remaining (healthy) kidney tissue the best we can. Veterinarians say that we can achieve this through diet and by using the prescribed medications. Sometimes fluid injections.