Hello Group,

I think my title says it all, but let me give a little background on myself.  I have been taking opiates recreationally (not for pain) since about the end of 2009.  I usually used hydro 5's or 10's, but towards the end was using up to 80mgs of Oxy a day. I was naive when I started these devilish pills, and have since educated myself about opiates and withdrawal. 

I have tapered down to only 2 - 5mg hydro's a day and "jumped off" (or last dose) on 12/30/12! I was 4 days clean and then this morning, I had bad runs, so I gobbled like 4 immodium 2mgs...it didnt help much, so i took 4 for after about an hour (total of 16mgs).  That did the trick.  Not only did it help with the runs, but it pretty much took ALL of my symptoms away. I know when something is too good to be true, so I started researching and sure enough loperamide is a opiod. 

I am determined to quit opiates for good, but I fear I may have reset my "withdrawal clock" without even knowing it!! Does anyone have experience here? Will the lope give me bads withdrawals tomorrow, just like day one or two? Can I still take a small dose to help with the runs, but not fear lope withdrawal?

Thank you for any advice :)

It has been my experience during the detox off opiates, my partner has actually gone thru more than three withdraw/detox from opiates, that Loperamide is very helpful. It contains only a mild and barely tracable amount of the ingredient that is an opioid,  

Opiates are derived directly from the opium poppy by departing and purifying the various chemicals in the poppy

.Opioids include all opiates but also include chemicals that have been synthesized in some way. 

So heroine is and opioid but not an opiate. Morphine is an opiate and also an opioid.If you take heroin, and then a drug test, you will ABSOLUTELY test positive for opiates. Tramadol, which is an opioid, will not show positive for opiates.

Loperamide is truly useful to combat some of the upset stomach and trips to the bathroom often experienced during detox. It should be taken responsibly, not abused in hopes of getting high on,but to help you thru the days ahead during withdraws, use as the bottle dosage listed says. Thats one must have during your detox, also look into and consider helping yourself lessen the restlessness and jumpy legs with Valerian Root. It really helps to relax you and ease your anxiousness due to withdraw. B Vitamin complex as also is great. Its benefit is to aid in the bodies re-manufacturing the brains neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine which under the constant use of drugs suffer greatly in their production. You can also exercise to help your body begin to repair and reproduce them. Exercise also helps make your body rest easier and sleep more than if you lay on the couch and gets no exercise. If you dont get up and move your gonna be sorry, its self defeating. 

Melatonin is a great supplent to aid in sleep.

Xanax,valium,or anxiety medications similar to those are good for reducing the fidgety,jumpy feeling in your body as well as relax muscles and mind so your able to stop focusing on how shitty you feel which can induce cravings that may be possible to weaken you will.

FLUIDS FLUIDS FLUIDS...drink them....its best for you.

MultiVitamin to restock your bodies supply of minerals and vitamins lacking from the use and often poor nutrition alot of folks see when detoxing.

Take your supplents and drink plenty of fliuds...its easy to see why one will take a pill to relieve pain if it makes them high but a supplement isnt seen the same way even though daily supplements are a bodies best friend for making it possible to recover from injury,prevent illness, and produce the crucial things found inside us all.

I hope this helps anyone or just someone in need of advice.

My Partner was lucky enough to have my vigilant and very informed-self to care for him thru his detoxing and these were the things he most found relief from. Unfortunately if you go thru with the detox and make it to a point that your able to get up and start trying to get out and work or be back in life, theres many things you will need to make sure you understand before just picking up where you left off prior to detox. #1 stay away from the people that you used with, bought pills from, or ever spent time with that is tied to pills. If you wanna stay clean, stay away from those who arent. really its a must.

Good Luck and stay focused and strong....your lifes waiting for you to reclaim it and theres such great things ahead of the newly sober soul. 

Thank you so much for your response! My wife is also there for me, which is a godsend.

As for the loperamide, it has been 24 hours since I took a totally of 16mgs and I actually feel GOOD this morning. Woke up, took a shower, even made my wife a cup of coffee before we headed of to work!!

It seems like the high dose of loperamide (16mgs in a couple of hours) was very efficient in helping my withdrawal, but now I am just anticipating some sort of loperamide withdrawal.

Do you think that will be the case? I wont be taking any loperamide today, so I guess we will see how it goes!

Back to work :)

Well, I honestly feel like the withdrawals are gone...Is it possible the withdrawals only lasted 5 days?

only if your using medications like naltrexole the immodium will be the casue of prologing or causeing any wd detox sysptoms if your taking these medication to block opiates like my bf is,

Quiting_for_good how are you making out? I am detoxing from methadone its not too bad YET!! everyone is telling me wait until you get down to 20mgs. Well I'm hoping it will be okay and if anyone out there has any advise I would greatly appreiciate advise, please keep in mind I am on a fixed income on disability so I don't have a lot of funds to go out and buy a whole bunch of stuff so maybe someone has some advise that will help me so here is my story: I am a 46yr YOUNG female, I have severe issues with my back and arthritis in my knees very bad I was on pain meds for 4 yrs and no problem taking my meds at all ever. I took what the dr told me to or less I was on oxy 30 four pills a day and a fentynal 50mg patch which got changed every 3 days. I was doing terrific THEN I started hanging out with a group of ppl younger than me and who were all into Heroin and I. Kept saying I will never do that well low and behold I wanted to see what everyone else was feeling so I tried it and I used for approx. 6 to 8 months the highest amount I would use { Intravenously} was up to 4 bags. When I cut myself off from hanging out with those ppl and still have not seen them in almost a year now. Instead suffering thru withdrawals due to my medical issues a friend talked to me about MMT and if I knew then what I know now about methadone I would have never started on the program it is causing me worse medical problems due to the side effects and I lost my pain mgmt dr due to choosing the mmt, if I had a chance to do it all over again I would have stayed with my P.M. dr and suffered thru the heroin wd's but here I am almost 10 months on methadone I have never gone higher than 80mgs. And due an issue almost gone thrown off of mmt not realizing due to my own stupidity that I was not honest with mmt about seeing another dr cause I thought one had nothing to do with the other and I'm not very intelligent in street drug use at all and I will admit to my faults so being as mmt saw it as an innocent mistake on my part I was allowed to continue mmt, anyway on feb 20th due to this I was not dosed cause they needed to speak to the dr and then the following day instead of my usual 75mg dose I was only given 50mgs. Now please keep in mind before all that happened I put in paperwork to decrease at 5mgs every 7 days so I still wanted to continue with that and we are. I stayed on 50 for 7 days and have been decreasing 5mgs. Every 7 days I am now at 40mgs. With really only stomach discomfort and waking thru the nite. My normal back and knee pain is still there but I'm trying to use ibuprofen 800 as little as possible so as not upset my stomach more. The nurse told me today that just when I would normally adjust to the taper I'm tapering again so now ppl are making me extremely nervous about getting to 20mgs. Because they are saying that the withdrawals are going to be unbearable. I have heard immodium can help and I have changed my eatting habits to add less acid foods not to upset my stomach more and choosen to somewhat use the brat diet of {bananas,rice,apples and toast} like they tell u when you have a stomach virus I have also started taking a multivitamin with iron as I am anemic {low iron} and 500 tablet of B12 as well. My question is how bad if anyone has gone thru it OR should I say how much worse is it going to get once I get to the lower numbers of 20 and below being as taper 5mgs per week hasn't been awful. I am pretty stubborn when I put my mind to something and I'm hoping someone can shed some lite on what I should expect and please don't judge me I am here for honest help and opinions I see too many judgers and I am not one to judge anyone ever!! Please write with any suggestions that can help me ease thru a little better due to the fact I suffer enough from true medically documented pain and I just want to be comfortable also I have 0 and I mean 0 energy and can't walk more than ten minutes due to the severity of pain I am in in my thighs and lower back when standing too long. Thank you for reading my short novel but I just wanted you to hear the whole story and not just bits and pieces. Peace.

Loperamide is not going to prolong your agony. It will help a little with WD, but don't expect it to work wonders.

Hello , I stopped cold turkey from 11 years of Fentanyl patch 100 - soma - oxymorphon . Been 1 year of hell as of 9/13 . I tried everything to recover . Just can't . I am in chronic pain and sick . I can't even fish . So I am going back on a lower dose . Having problems tolerating meds now . I at least know what broke down my spine and guts . Mitochondrial a hereditary metabolic problem .What choice do I have not going to live past 65 anyway . I am 51 .

Lope will prolong your withdrawals if your using higher doses. I got hooked on lope after getting off of suboxone.. I was taking doses ranging from 100mg's to 40mg's. I was also using herion. I detoxed for 21 days then slipped back up on the lope using about 50mg's a day then down to 40mg and relapsed on herion and ended up in detox.....I'm now 21 days clean and still feeling goosebumps, chills and fatigue. I feel much better mentally. My libido is out of control its somewhat annoying. I'm 33 years old.

Look into something called Kratom.

you should go back on the heroin and taper off of that instead of the methadone. It takes weeks of terrible withdrawal from methadone due it's long lasting effects. It's a much easier way to taper off of a short lasting opiate than methadone

Don’t ever give up. I had a lot of health problems & spent over a year in the hospital. I was morbidly ill & thought my life was over. This led to pain& depression & pain management. I was taking 150 mcg fentanyl patch every other day& countless other pills(mostly OC’s all day every day for over 12 years)& stayed in bed for over 10 years in a waking coma. I gave up& just accepted that I had no future& a life that would only lead to pain& death. 10& a half months ago I decided to take my life back. I did it for myself& my family & the friends that I love. 10& a half months ago I took accountability for my actions & chose life instead of death. I told my friends & family the truth of how bad I was& made myself accountable to them because I love them& wanted a future. I also wanted someone to turn to& set me straight if I messed up, but the main reason is so I could understand how seriously I was hurting them& myself & fully understand the consequences of my actions& how much those actions were hurting the people who I love& have been there for me(even when I didn’t deserve it) I quit for good& chose to have a better future. I lost so many years& I will be damned if I let opiates take any more precious time away. I got on Subutex within days of this “coming to Jesus moment”& I never looked back. It wasn’t easy at first, but I found strength inside me that I didn’t even know I had. I started off on 24 mgs(3 subs a day) & weaned myself down to the lowest dose I could measure(about a 10th of 1mg) over the past 10& a half mos. I carefully followed instructions& was self disciplined. I refused to listen to any haters or horror stories about withdrawals or anything negative because so much of this is mental. It’s about 99% mental. I have felt some minor withdrawals along this journey, but NOTHING compared to the extreme up& downs& withdrawals that used to be debilitating on a daily basis. Not even close, so be of good courage friends. You have to stay positive & strong& keep your mind on the prize- being free of these horrible substances that control every aspect of everything you do& keep you a prisoner in your own home& mind& destroy your life& family& lead to a early grave. I can’t believe I used to live for my next patch or pill. That high isn’t real& it never lasts. The more you take, the more you need& the more you mess up your life. It became the most important thing in my life. I loved that drug more than my family & myself & my very own life. I was ashamed of who I was& can’t believe I wasted over ten years of my life that way. No matter how long or how bad, you can have a future too. I was the biggest mess-up& no one ever thought I would make it this far. I did it to prove those haters wrong, but I did it to prove it to myself the most. You can do it too. Don’t let those worries or fears or doubts into your heart or mind. Don’t listen to the haters or people who say you can’t. Think positive & don’t let those negative thoughts or people into your life. I’m so happy I have my life back now. It’s been a process, but I’m totally clean now& off the Subutex for over 4 weeks. I barely had any withdrawals & did it nice& slow at the very end. I have my life back& am starting to feel more& more like myself again every day. I feel my brain starting to repair itself. The pain is still a daily struggle, but now I can get out of bed& make better health& life decisions with clarity so by Gods grace I will now have a better future& quality of life. I will never look back. My life was hell back then. I’m so happy to see what this new life will bring. Life is too precious. Cherish every moment. For the very first time in 12 years, I am looking forward to tomorrow & having the hope for a happy fulfilled life& future. You can do it too! I will be praying for all of you& hope my story helps

& btw- Imodium definitely helps get you through the tough days when used correctly. If you take way too much of any otc drug, it can hurt you. (Even aspirin:)