Hi, how long does it take to adjust to methadone? My son is clear now, and willing to start treatment.

Hi, it took them two long months for my son to find the right dose of methadone. At the beginning he was throwing up the liquid, so he got some pills a week later. He has often nausea and vomiting, so I guess he is not responding well to this treatment. When his dose was lowered, he quickly went into methadone withdrawal. So, he takes heroin again if he has severe withdrawal. Is it normal procedure in the treatment, or is it something else. I am doubting his therapy is working at all.

What is he coming off of? I was a oral opiate abuser for 15 years,I went to the clinic while in withdrawl, they gave me 30 mg. I felt it 1 hour later, I loved it! For approx.3 months I would nodd out even while driving, I could not watch a movie all the way through, if he smokes do not let him smoke in bed or sitting in a chair. I stayed on methadone for 4 years got up to 100 mg. the first year. Please work the program, therapy, and try to not stay on it for over 1 year, then wean off slowly. He will be productive, back to work, you don't have to use to relapse, if you are not moving forward and your life is not improving you are in relapse. If he has a small pain killer problem, you may want to rethink methadone, originally was used to treat IV drug users.

your post is so retarded i cant think of where to begin, methadone can help help people yes its addictive but its easier to taper off of at a controled slow rate and if you look at the stats your might find that when taken right it has a decent success rate apparently you either one didnt have that big of an addiction to opiates with a low tolerance or two you were taking way to much methadone or not taking it right like mixing it with benzodiazpines im on 150mg a day down from 270mg if you go down like 10mg once a month you dont get that sick and go all out into severe opiate withdrawl and also i dont get high off of methadone i never have so apparently you werent using it how you should or you didnt have that much of an addiction.