I am a 37 year old woman who had one parathyroid removed Aug 28, 2006. The adenoma was found to be fine and none life threatening. My problemis I have not felt the same since. I don`t feel like myself....that I am in a foreign body. I am uncomfortable, absent minded, do not retain any information nor can...see I fogot what I was going to write. I am frustrated and do not know what to do. I have told my surgeon and he just brushed it off. Is this normal?

Kathy

I am one week post parathyroidectomy and I, too, don't feel too well. I was wondering if you contacted your surgeon and what he advised. I have e-mailed mine and am waiting for a response. I am taking 6 citracal tablets daily. I had 2 adenomas removed and also a nodule from the thyroid. All was done using the minimally invasive procedure. I feel like I have the flu....achy but no fever.
Melissa

I had the same surgery last November (2005) and I am still struggling with the same symptoms you describe. I have been to the doctor and they haven't been able to determine what's wrong. My calcium is in normal range now but they didn't test my serum calcium levels so I can't be certain that it's not calcium related. I also have eyelid twitches, my musculoskeletal system feels old, and on and off dizziness. I have read about something called "Hungry Bones Syndrome" where after the surgery your bones begin to absorb all the calcium in your body. I have been taking calcium supplements with some degree of success. Nevertheless I feel worse now than I did before the surgery. I don't know what to do.

Hi-
I read your response to mine regarding the struggles you are having after the surgery. I feel as though I am losing my ever-loving mind. I am dizzy off and on, I am achey like I have the flu. I am exhausted, no energy and generally feel worse now than I did before surgery. Now, my calcium levels and pth were extremely high before surgery, were yours? Did you go to the surgeon in Florida? My surgeon (in Florida) told me that the things I was experiencing had nothing to do with it, and that he could not help me. His nurse told me that yes, what I was going through had happened to some and I would feel "much better" in 2 or 3 months. I am a week away from 3 months. I DON"T feel better! My doctor here basically told me that I am full of it, there is nothing wrong with me and that I just need to lose weight and I will feel like a new person. Sorry, but I was the same weight before surgery and did not feel like this. What have you been told? Anxiously waiting to hear from you!

Melissa,

How do you feel now?

Sorry, whoever had the 2 parathyroid lesions and one thyroid lesion removed, but you need to get in to see an endocrinologist asap. You need to be evaluated to rule out cancer.

I am having the exact same issues. I thought I was going crazy. My husband didn't believe that I was actually not feeling well. I did a search on google on Parathyroidectomy side effects and found this site. In fact I thought I had the flu as well. It has been 2 months since the surgery and I am waiting to see my doctor. I am a dialysis patient though, so I don't know if that makes any difference. This is affecting my marriage and my job, anyone with insites or knows how to help please email me!

Sorry to hear that you all are having serious symptoms after parathyroidectomy. Since you have 4 glands, it may be that your surgeon did not get all of the affected glands. Your symptoms sound like this is the case. Multiple adenomas are thought to be fairly rare, but does exist in approximately 20% of primary hyperparathyroidism. Have you had both your calcium and PTH tested together after surgery? Your calcium may be normal but if it is not inverse to your PTH value, then you may have another very small adenoma (hyperplasia). If your calcium is above 9.4, then your PTH should be at the very low end of the scale.

Multiple adenomas are most typically found when there is a family history of primary hyperparathyroidism. this is a hereditary disorder. Do a search for "familial hyperparathyroidism" for more information.

Good luck--this is a serious disorder that very few people know about. Don't let the doctors tell you that you aren't sick-------Keep pushing!!

Hi, I am dropping in again to see if anyone has improved over the months and year or so since this discussion started. As I mentioned I had Parathyroid surgery in November of 2005 and for over two years I have dealt with strange symptoms ranging from dizziness (rather more like "brain fog"), tension headaches, lack of energy, and other symptoms. I have continued to take calcium supplements along with Vitamin D and magnesium and I will admit that I have improved somewhat over the last several months (the attacks of dizziness, headaches, etc. are less regular than a year or more ago). But still it exists. I've had numerous blood tests and scans and my doctors have been unable to give me a diagnosis. My belief is that the surgery changed something in the way my body was used to functioning and now it's manifested in these symptoms. Perhaps my body was accustomed to the higher levels of calcium and and now doesn't cope well with the lower levels of calcium. Or perhaps my bones continue to draw the calcium from my blood stream faster than the parathyroid glands can react. I really don't know. I am pretty much guessing but I firmly believe that the symptoms are related to the post affects of the surgery. I just don't know why and therefore have no way to manage it. I changed my health insurance plan in the hopes that I can find another doctor who will help. I also find very helpful reading the experiences of others. I hope others will keep posting.

Let me tell you, no I have not improved. If anything, I have gotten worse. In September, I developed a nasty symptom of a racing heart that leads to a panic attack. I still feel like I am walking around in a fog, bad tension headaches, dizziness. I have lost 30 pounds since June (purposely as I needed to lose about 50 pounds) and this hasn't helped as a doctor had told it would over a year ago. I have been told that I have anxiety and this is what is wrong with me. After all that I have been through, I am thinking they are right, but I did not struggle with panic attacks until after having my parathyroid taken out. I am convinced that, like you, my body is simply not coping well with lower calcium. I am trying hard to be more optimistic, and taking each day as it comes. I try to remember that there are alot of people who have much more serious issues than I do, that I am alive, able to have a job, be with my family, etc. I try to remember that nothing in life is insurmountable, and that this too shall hopefully pass. But I have to be honest and tell you that there are just as many days that I wake up and say "this bites, why is this happening to me?!". I am anxious to hear how you are doing daily, is this something you deal with on a daily basis, or does it happen now and then? I have been to doctors, and am told the same thing; it's anxiety. As I am sure you have discovered, not many know anything about parathyroid symptoms, side effects, etc. I have to say that my faith in the medical community has really taken a nose dive ever since this whole thing started in July 2006. We hold doctors in a higher regard and expect them to help us as that is what we pay them for. When they throw their hands in the air and say "I dunno", it scares me. In any case, I am axiously waiting for your reply.

I had one parathyroid adenoma removed in September, 2006. I read the parathyroid.com description that said I would feel better immediately. Well, I did. Then about two days later all the symptoms came back: the terrible bone pain, the memory problems, the depression. The worst pain of all was in the bottom of my feet. It made it hard to walk or exercise. I went from doctor to doctor. Four month after my surgery I even went to the endocrinology clinic at UCSan Francisco. Nobody could tell me what was wrong. My calcium and PTH were normal but Vitamin D3 was low so I started on supplements.
Finally, in January of this year, I went to a doctor who is specializing in anti-aging and he measured multiple hormones in the blood and in a 24 hour urine specimen. He wants his patients at "optimal levels" (not the laboratory "reference ranges"). Now I am taking several different meds (Armour thyroid, methylprednisolone, prometium,) and finally I am getting back to feeling normal. Have lost 20lbs too. (You don't feel bad because you gained weight...you gained weight because you feel bad. The bone pain and joint pain makes it so difficult to exercise, so when you slow down and don't move, you gain weight! No surprise there.)
Remember how bad you felt when your parathyroid hormone was out of whack? Well, hormones don't operate in a vacuum. When one is out of whack, you get a domino effect. Doctors don't give enough respect to hormones. Find a doctor who is specializing in anti-aging (they have fellowships in this stuff so go to a teaching hospital if you have to). Have your doctors log on to this site where so many people have the same symptoms and then ask your doctor to explain how it's still all in your head. I mean are we all having a group hallucination or something?
By the way, it turns out the pain in my feet was plantar fasciitis and a podiatrist gave me some cortisone injections in my feet and for the first time in two years they no longer hurt. Vitamin D was still low after one year of supplementation so I am now taking a liquid Vitamin D3 and will check again in a couple of months. Bone pain/achiness is completely gone. Fatigue is still there but diminishing. Sleep is improving. Memory still a problem but better if I don't "multi-task". Hard to do, since I am a nurse, but since memory is a problem I am no longer a bedside nurse and now work a desk job. My faith in doctors and the medical establishment in general has been shaken. As a nurse, I have had a hard time navigating this system and getting my needs met. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who doesn't know how the system works.

I am anxious to hear how you are doing daily, is this something you deal with on a daily basis, or does it happen now and then? I have been to doctors, and am told the same thing; it's anxiety. As I am sure you have discovered, not many know anything about parathyroid symptoms, side effects, etc. I have to say that my faith in the medical community has really taken a nose dive ever since this whole thing started in July 2006. We hold doctors in a higher regard and expect them to help us as that is what we pay them for. When they throw their hands in the air and say "I dunno", it scares me. In any case, I am axiously waiting for your reply.

I THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE MY DOCTOR MONITOR MY CALCIUM LEVEL, 'VITAMIN D' LEVEL, 24 HOUR URINE, AND XRAY ME FOR KIDNEY STONES EVERY 4 MONTHS...THE ONLY SYMPTOM I'M FEELING IS FATIGUED, BUT I'M 56 YEARS OLD...IF YOU GET UP AT 3 IN THE MORNING GET HOME AT 3 IN THE AFTERNOON, YOU'D FEEL FATIGUED TOO...I'M GOING TO POSTPONE THE SURGERY AS LONG AS I CAN...I HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY AND AM NOT ON ANY HORMONE REPLACEMENT...I'M GOING TO SEE WHAT MY DOC ENDOCRINE DOC OR GYN DOC SUGGEST...

I have to say that my faith in the medical community has really taken a nose dive ever since this whole thing started in July 2006. We hold doctors in a higher regard and expect them to help us as that is what we pay them for. When they throw their hands in the air and say "I dunno", it scares me. In any case, I am axiously waiting for your reply.

THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE MY DOCTOR MONITOR MY CALCIUM LEVEL, 'VITAMIN D' LEVEL, 24 HOUR URINE, AND XRAY ME FOR KIDNEY STONES EVERY 4 MONTHS...THE ONLY SYMPTOM I'M FEELING IS FATIGUED, BUT I'M 56 YEARS OLD...IF YOU GET UP AT 3 IN THE MORNING GET HOME AT 3 IN THE AFTERNOON, YOU'D FEEL FATIGUED TOO...I'M GOING TO POSTPONE THE SURGERY AS LONG AS I CAN...I HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY AND AM NOT ON ANY HORMONE REPLACEMENT...I'M GOING TO SEE WHAT MY DOC ENDOCRINE DOC OR GYN DOC SUGGEST...

But I have to be honest and tell you that there are just as many days that I wake up and say "this bites, why is this happening to me?!". I am anxious to hear how you are doing daily, is this something you deal with on a daily basis, or does it happen now and then? I have been to doctors, and am told the same thing; it's anxiety. As I am sure you have discovered, not many know anything about parathyroid symptoms, side effects, etc. I have to say that my faith in the medical community has really taken a nose dive ever since this whole thing started in July 2006. We hold doctors in a higher regard and expect them to help us as that is what we pay them for. When they throw their hands in the air and say "I dunno", it scares me. In any case, I am axiously waiting for your reply

THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE MY DOCTOR MONITOR MY CALCIUM LEVEL, 'VITAMIN D' LEVEL, 24 HOUR URINE, AND XRAY ME FOR KIDNEY STONES EVERY 4 MONTHS...THE ONLY SYMPTOM I'M FEELING IS FATIGUED, BUT I'M 56 YEARS OLD...IF YOU GET UP AT 3 IN THE MORNING GET HOME AT 3 YOU'D FEEL FATIGUED TOO...I THINK I'M GOING TO POSTPONE THE SURGERY AS LONG AS I CAN...I HAD A TOTAL HYSTERECTOMY AND AM NOT ON ANY HORMONE REPLACEMENT...I'M GOING TO SEE WHAT MY ENDOCRINE DOC OR GYN DOC SUGGEST...HE'S THE ONE WHO SAID WE COULD MONITOR OR GO AHEAD WITH THE SURGERY...MY CALCIUM IS ONLY 10.8, BUT MY PTH IS 150...