Hello, folks. I have just returned from my doctor’s office and I have been diagnosed with pituitary adenoma. Doctor tried to explain me what it is, but I am not sure what that is exactly. I was hoping someone from here could help me. I will appreciate all your help. Thanks.

Hello. I don’t know what your doctor explained you, but I will try to help. Pituitary adenoma is a benign tumor of pituitary gland. They don’t give metastases, but they can expand to local brain tissue. They can also suppress the remaining part of pituitary gland and cause the lack of pituitary hormones. On the other hand, adenoma itself can produce pituitary hormones and that can have a significant impact to one’s health. In treatment the main role is surgery. Radiotherapy and chemotherapy can also have a role, but I am not sure how significant. You should feel free to discuss that with your doctor. I hope I’ve helped.