I don’t like to talk about illnesses, but it seems that I have to. My sister has just been diagnosed with a pituitary gland tumor and I have to say that this is something that can tear families apart. I mean, we all wish to help, but more or less we cannot do anything but leave the doctors and let them do their job. I just hope she will be all right. I would just like to know in what age pituitary tumors occur.

Well, you should worry a bit less, since pituitary gland tumors are usually benign. Although, there might be some problems, with the location of the tumor. For example, if it is too big it can press some nerve and cause severe damage. Therefore, it has to be removed or reduced to insignificant size. As for the age, it usually affects older people, but it is not uncommon for younger population, sometimes even teenagers.

MY DAUGHTER WAS IN HER MIDDLE 20'S WHEN THEY FOUND HER PITUATARY TUMOR. SHE HAS PROLACTINOMA. YES, 95% OF THE TUMORS " PROLACTINOMA OR CUSHINGS" ARE BENIGN. I DONT REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE MEDICATION THEY ARE GIVING HER...BUT SHE TAKES ONE PILL ONCE A WEEK. HER LAST BLOOD WORK SHOWED HER PROLACTIN LEVEL WAS BACK TO NORMAL. I THINK IT WAS 6 IT WAS IN THE HIGH 60'S WHEN SHE WAS FIRST TESTED. THEY KNEW RIGHT AWAY WHAT WAS WRONG.