Hi everyone,

Well, this particular symptom seems quite weird to me so I am really wondering if this symptom is actually connected to anxiety. I mean, I have anxiety, I am aware of that, I won't deny it or anything, I know what my symptoms are and how I am acting and I seem to be on a good way to get over this, but I recently started having this metallic taste in my mouth. I am not sure is this because of anxiety, I don't really see the connection, so I wanted to ask if anyone here who suffered from anxiety had the same situation.

Anxiety does appear to cause a metallic taste in people's mouths. What's interesting, however, is that there doesn't appear to be a medical reason for it. Even during the fight or flight response, there isn't necessarily anything activated in the taste buds that should be creating this metallic taste. There are a lot of different theories for why someone would experience a metallic taste, and all of them appear to be true for different people. These reasons include bleeding gums, over sensitivity to taste, stomach acid, and medications. No worries about this Gaia, this is just one of the weird symptoms of anxiety. You should however try to deal with your anxiety and panic attacks with relaxation techniques for anxiety

There is this theory that needs to be considered, it says that the metallic taste may be what's bringing on the anxiety. Those that have panic attacks and health anxiety may be experiencing a reaction to tasting metal, not the other way around, but the anxiety comes on so quickly that it feels like the anxiety came first.

However, only a doctor can ensure that the metal taste in your mouth is related to your anxiety and not something more serious, so if you're concerned, make sure that you talk to your doctor first and have them test you for anything that may cause a metal taste on your tongue.

Yes, I have a metallic taste on my tongue sometimes but I kind of never thought much about it, I actually always thought that it is somehow connected to my anxiety so I didn't really worry about it. However, after reading your posts here, I see that this can mean something more serious than just anxiety, so I am probably going to see my doctor and see what he has to say about all of this. Just because I want to be well informed before I go to see my doctor, does anyone know which conditions or disease could also cause a metallic taste in one's mouth?

Hello there. Well, it is. Metallic tastes are actually a great example that someone is dealing with anxiety. Many people worry about this metallic taste they get in their mouth during anxiety attacks. They usually are  wondering if it's possible that the metallic taste indicates something other than an anxiety disorder. But there is a possibility that this can be a side - effect of some medications if you are using hem, or maybe you are dealing with seizure disorder. In any of those cases, you really should contact your doctor as well. You should not avoid him, he needs to know about this. 

It is possible, but you need to know that not everyone experiences the same fear when they are having this ugly metallic taste in their mouths. You should know that some people, even those people who are dealing with anxiety don't even notice that they have that metallic taste or if they do, they are not worried about it at all. They are not concerned about this, they don't think that this is something serious. I had this taste for a couple of weeks, and I was not worried at all. I didn't pay attention on it. So I am not sure is this a sign of it. Who knows...

No, I am pretty sure that anxiety can cause metal taste in your mouth. But the good thing is that you can easily fight against it. Metal taste does not have any kind of medical cause, so there is not that much that you can do to target the metal taste directly. A lot of people report that metal taste in their mouth goes ways on its own very often. But if this taste doesn't disappear, you can always use those cheap tricks, such are breathing mint or chewing gum. I am sure that this will go away. Sometimes, stomach acids can cause metallic taste in your mouth as well. 

Hey guys.

Sure it can. I am example for it. I used to get this ugly taste in my mouth every time when I am about to get a panic attack. Maybe someone believes that this is not very common symptom, but I do know a lot of people who have this symptom, just like I do. When I have this taste, I know that I am about to have this panic, anxiety attack. Here is what you can do - you should talk to your doctor about this and I am almost sure that he is going to tell you that on panic board this symptom is mentioned a couple of times, which means that this is true. 

That is something that is really annoying! I get this taste and I get some ugly smell as well. I don't know in what form it is, but sure I do know that it is ugly. Sometimes is like a metallic taste, sometimes is totally different. I just don't know how to explain. At the beginning I was sure that I am having seizures, but my doctor told me that this is very common with anxiety attacks and that I should also control it, but that I am not dealing with seizures. Of course, I was extremely happy to hear this.  

This is very true. I suffer with anxiety and very rarely I taste metallic in my mouth. If I am highly stressed then it rises along with grinding my teeth at night. How I know, when I awake, my gums and teeth is sore.