Hi there,

I am seriously frightened and I need someone's help. I got used to anxiety attacks during the day but these things during night are a thousand times worse and they are really scaring me to death. It all started about 3 weeks ago when the first of these attacks occurred. I would wake up in the middle of the night feeling upset and confused while being barely awake enough to know what's happening. Since the first one, I didn't have a single night without at least one of these attacks. I also have nightmares almost every night. I really hope to hear some advice here.

Hi Guest,

The thing that you are having there is called a nocturnal panic attack. A nocturnal panic attack is a panic attack which occurs in the midst of your sleep, waking you up for no apparent reason. Not very much is written about nocturnal attacks, so people are usually dismayed and worried when they experience a panic attack at night. They often think it means that the panic problem is spreading, and they worry about having some new or particularly ominous form of panic.

I suggest you get up and out of bed. Fully wake yourself. Splash some water on your face, have a drink of water, check on the dog, cat, or parakeet. Do a few ordinary things to help yourself wake up.

Hey Alan,

I tried the thing that you said last night. It helped me in a way because I didn't get back to sleep immediately so these nightmares and these anxiety attacks didn't prolong. It is kind of a good advice but it seems like it won't stop me from having at least one attack at night, and it doesn't stop the nightmares. I'm not much into medications but if I have to use some pills in order to get rid of these attacks and nightmares, I will. I just need someone to tell me if this can be sort of treated with medications.

I am sorry Guest, but there aren't any medications that can help you with this matter. Your trouble is your mental condition and there are no medications which can hep you with this matter. Maybe medical cannabis can help you out if you are in one of those countries that are giving cannabis as a medical treatment. It can help you fall a sleep easier and it can also help you with your nightmares. Other than that, I don't think that there are any other things that could help you out except the one that I already wrote above, I don't know other way to help you.

Hello there. Sure it can happen but the good thing is that panic attacks that can occur while you are sleeping and which can easily turn into a nightmares can be cured. But the bad thing is because they need to be cured RIGHT NOW! You can’t just manage it or reduce it, you need to cure it because that is the only way to prevent and to stop those terrible attacks to happen again. There are so many different causes of the nightmares and usually it is caused by so – called sleep apnea. That is also known as obstructive sleep apnea and it is very common cause of those sleeping panic attacks.

Hey. You need to react right away, because you really don't want for you to happen what has happened to me, right? Well, let me tell you my short story. I had those ugly nightmares for almost a year (I know that I am silly, but I was thinking that this will go away). This nightmares were repeating almost every night and the 'mare was the same every night - some ugly creature is chasing me all over again and I can't run away. I was waking up my husband and my kids because I was screaming a lot. After almost a year my husband convinced me to visit my doctor to see what is going on. It can be very dangerous. I even left my job because I was feeling bad. It can be very dangerous.

Hey there darling. You should not joke with it at all. This can be very serious and you should look for the immediate help. For example, I know that there are so many people who suffer from panic attacks develop hyperventilation disorder, and that is a chronic breathing problem. Hyperventilation is a common symptom of panic attacks, and it’s also responsible for many other common panic attack symptoms.It can affect your sleep, you can wake up all the time and having those bad nightmares. This won't stop on its own. And what about mediation? I have heard that it is very good. 

I believe that the worst thing that can happen to people who are having problems with anxiety and depression is when the night problems and fears combine together. Attacks when you are sleeping are extremely stressful and they definitely can affect your life. But trust me, those attacks won't stop itself. Panic attacks are not the only way to qualify for panic disorder. It's also possible to simply fear panic attacks to such a degree that they control your life. You need to seek for immediate help and the cure for your anxiety attacks. It needs to be cured very soon. 

Hello everyone. Unfortunately I have experience with it. My son, when he was 13 he was really having those bad nightmares. He was jumping out of his bed whenever he was sleeping. This really started to be dangerous because one night he started to run into the house and my husband was not there. I didn't know what to do. It was really stressful situation for me so I have decide to take him to the hospital to consult doctor. After he was talking with him and he did some exams, he told us that those are classic anxiety attacks and that this usually happens while a person is sleeping and that this can be treated. But my son is still jumping around and he is having those attacks. I am not sure what to do :/