Hello everyone,

I am really scared because of what is happening to me. I am scared that this is life threatening actually, it is freaking me out.

I have a friend who is suffering from anxiety as well but this never happened to him, I asked him. After all these panic attacks that I have experienced, my throat got swollen and I have some real difficulties while breathing. I can't breathe normally anymore, it is like there is someone sitting on my stomach and my throat hurts as well. Please tell me that this isn't dangerous and teach me how to treat it, please.

Hello Guest,

You need to calm down. You are not going to die and nothing bad is going to happen, this is just one of the symptoms of anxiety.

However, if nothing that people write here is going to help you calm down, I would advise you to go and visit your doctor. He will examine your throat and see if everything is okay. I guess that when he says that everything is okay and that this is just a symptom of anxiety, you are going to stop worrying about it therefore you are immediately going to start feeling a bit better.

This sounds more like a panic attack to me than as an anxiety attack. I don't know how to teach you to treat this because this is simply something that is stuck in your head. What you need to do is to calm yourself, just like Nina wrote already above me. I don't know, maybe seek professional help if you are unable to help yourself. Don't think of it in a bad way because that is wrong, psychologists are people trained to help you if you are suffering from anxiety or depression, or simply have a problem that you want to discuss with them.

Hey there. Like Nina already told you, we can't write in here anything that can help calm you down or get over those attacks. It seems to me that you are having problems with panic attacks, and when those attacks caused you a swollen throat and some difficulties in breathing, it can be really messed up. That is why you should seek immediate advice from someone who is an expert at this. It seems to me that you are dealing with some issues in your head or your personal life, it doesn't matter. The only thing that really matters now is that you really need to seek for immediate help because, trust me, it can become worse. Good luck!

Dealing with anxiety or panic attacks can be really bad for people and you should not leave it untreated definitely. 

I know that people keep telling you that you need to calm down. It has happened to me and when people are telling me to calm down I became even more nervous.

I mean, how can you tell me to calm down when I can't?

When I was "choking" for the first time because of those attacks, I believed that I am having some cancer or some other serious disease. Than my doctor explained to me that  throat lumps can actually be caused by anxiety, especially if you suffer from very specific anxiety conditions. And this requires medical help.

I have never been in this type of situation, even if I was dealing with panic attacks and anxiety attacks. I mean, I still do. But I never had this type of feeling. 

I know several people who could be able to calm down when they start to feel that they are choking and they suddenly become much better. But you should really know that anxiety and stress can have a profound effect on our bodies, and one such effect is inflammation, caused by the activation of your autonomic nervous system.

Like others told you, you should talk to your doctor and see how can he help you. 

Yes, but there are a few things that you can really do to make this ugly sensation to go away. For example, you should drink water, because water can reduce this lump feeling in two ways. First, when you are drinking water, you're able to feel the water going down your throat which may calm down some of your worries that you are dealing with, and I am sure that you have a lot of worries. Second, there are some indications that hydration in general can reduce the lump sensation and that is why water also can be extremely helpful. Another thing that you can do - try jogging. It also helps!