I've been having joint pain for about 2 mos now. The knee pain turned out to be quadricep tendonitis on both knees %-) , and the other pain which seems to be all over my body-- my regular primary care doctor didn't know "why that was". He said not to worry about it. But I did. He ran a RF Titer test and a Lyme and wouldn't refer me to a Rhuemy because those 2 came back negative.
It still continued, and I wasn't taking "you got nothing wrong with you" for an answer. I went to Urgent Care which is a subset of where the primary care doctor was located a week after my PCP telling me the only thing that is/was wrong is the bi-quadricep tendonitis. The doctor at Urgent Care knew I was also nervous about AI as I googled joint pain when it 1st presented w/ me and I saw horror stories...and so he ck'ed my joints said nothing was inflammed/swollen/red but wanted to rule out autoimmune as he knew I was worried. He did a Sed rate, a CRP test, ANA, a Vitamin D, and a Parvo Virus test. Parvo, Sed and CRP came back neg, Vitamin D was a "little low" he said it wasn't low enough to cause joint pain though, and then he said my ANA was slightly elevated to 8x's what's normal. :-( He showed the blood tests results to 4 internists there that thought I exhibited a false positive on my ANA...because usually they don't worry about ANA until it's 64 times what it should be? I'm not sure if he's right, but that's what he said. XD Plus other things like SED and CRP, RF were neg. I, of course, flipped out as I have panic attacks anyway, suffer from IBS, OCD, and insomnia. 8-| SO--He said he was going to make sure that my primary care sent a referral into the Rhuemy because he said with a slightly pos ANA and joint pain you want to rule out all other AI diseases. He thought though it was fibromyalgia considering my anxiety and sleeping history. I actually got rushed to the ER the day I was informed about the pos ANA w/ a severe panic attack and they gave me some sedative that actually took the pain away. They said they gave me no narcotics. Funny too, because codiene and percs that my PCP gave in earlier wks weren't taking the pain away...only a sedative at the ER? Of course I wrote all my own observations down to tell the Rhuemy. ---I just got my blood tests for Lupus and other AI diseases as well as a CBC done and a complete urinalysis to make sure things were ok..and the Rhuemy said all came out neg. He did a thorough examination of my joints and muscles when I was there too and asked me as he was doing it could I ever put my legs behind my head? or do weird things with my body? I said yes. I said I am very flexible in yoga now. He said stop yoga for now. %-) I was like why? He said because your joints are very loose, or too laxed for your age? I was like ok. So? He was like, well you got the muscles of a 60 yr old (I am 34...lol) and the joints of a 16 yr old. You need to strengthen your muscles or this will always be a problem from here on out. The yoga was just stretching me more. I never knew?! He called it JHS or Joint Hypermobilty Syndrome. You can either get NSAIDs or Physical Therapy for it. Since I have a weak stomach...I am doing PT. I'm only one week into it and the PT agreed w/ the Rhuemy that I have very flexible joints for my age...but he even went so far to say that my muscles are that of an 85 yr old? lmao XD I am 123lbs I don't LOOK out of shape, evidently having an office job and not exercising enough, can do this to you though. I still find it odd that it came on all of a sudden but the Rhuemy said it can. And can get worse or better. Has anyone ever felt like maybe it's NOT what a specialist tells you, even though they are looking at your physical signs/findings and running all the blood/lab tests to rule out AI diseases? I'm just scared maybe he's wrong. I still don't get why a sedative worked on the pain and pain killers don't. He never really answered that. Could it be fibromyalgia as well? I am just not sure why he wouldn't say that. I hope I am not over-reacting. I just hate being in pain as I am sure you all are.

I am sorry that you have to go through so many tests before the doctor came up with joint hypermobility syndrome, a connective tissue disorder with no known cure. I agree with the doctor that this is probably what you have. You can strength the muscles around the joint areas with an electrical muscle stimulator (EMS). This usually will also take care of the pain. Fibromyalgia is just a convenient term that doctors use to describe a host of annoying symptoms with no definitive causes. I also recommend therapeutic massage on a regular basis for relaxation and pain management.

Thanks hoseclamps. :-D I'm not particularly happy w/ the fact that the Rhuemy said the pain could even get worse...he's "not a fortune teller"to say what it will do...is what he said. Just told me the pain won't leave now. Which depresses me. He said the bright side is that it's not a systemic connective tissue disorder. But either way...pain is pain. Thanks for the advice for the EMS. Is that what a chiropractor would use on you? I use to have it on my back...I'm just wondering. And yes I am looking into massage as well. Wish it was covered by ins., but it's not. lol :-D

Actually just so you know, chiropractors and massage therapists are covered by some insurance so that's worth a look if you are interested. I think it's something worth investigating if you really are interested. Let me know, okay?

Magnesium, Calcium and Zinc help for panic attacks. Somehow they assist the body absorb nutrients better.

If you are not sleeping properly, I hope tests were done to check sugar and thyroid levels?

And to answer your question, yes, I do think the doctors are wrong. I've never had much satisfaction from 'modern medicine' and must confess that after they messed me up completely and there was nothing left to mess up, I turned to 'alternative medicine' and got the best healthcare and health advice from a homeopath. If you have a good one nearby, go see them.

I had many of the symptoms you are describing for years and recently got rid of all but my very lower back which isn't a surprise due to spondylolithesis and it being a birth defect. My all over body pain is gone.

I would suggest if you drink soda at all stop! It is terrible junk a sweet poison that will weaken and kill your body slowly yet methodically. HFCS is horrid for your health do some reading on it, absolutely horrifying all the health issues associated with it. The high phosperous content can throw off the balance in your body and bones and can weaken them.

WATER! Drink water! Add lemon slices or cucumber slices if you need to for flavor. Water will do wonders for your overall health, will lubricate your joints, help flush toxins, soft skin, nicer complexion and on and on the benefits go.

Vitamin D is super important due to liver/gallbladder issues that no doctor even found my Vitamin D was completely depleted not just deficient. I was outside a lot! My body couldn't process it due to liver damage. A liver friendly diet does wonders! Thankfully livers are amazing and as long as they aren't past the point of no return they can regenerate and heal to the point that even medical tests won't be able to tell there was ever any scarring or damage!

Getting vitamin D: go outside, eat salmon-mushrooms- and dandelion tea all have some vit D.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

cayenne pepper is wonderful for inflammatory issues! It rates at 1481 for anti-inflammatory properties. It is great for optimal health. There are many health benefits form cayenne as well...one of the main ones is getting blood flowing properly. Also used for fibromyalgia and nerve pain. 5yrs I went through tremendous pain they wouldn't give me anything to help what so ever and cayenne pepper works and there is no perscription! I would start small unless you like hot spicy foods and handle it well. Get good quality cayenne from a health food store at least 40,000 heat units the stuff at the grocery store isn't quite the same quality nor does it work as well. I would start with a pinch or two...maybe a teaspoon and work your way up. I would also encourage you to do some research on it. DO NOT do capsules it could cause stomach discomfort due to your body not being prepared. When cayenne hits your mouth your body sends signals to your stomach to prepare it for the cayenne if taken in capsules your stomach can not prepare and when it bursts open you could end up with some pain and less of a postive effect. Below are a few websites you can take a gander at as well.

For one glass of soda, you need 32, yes THIRTY TWO glasses of water to neutralise the soda.

Massage is amazing for so many reasons. If you can find a Reiki practitioner that offers massage too, then you've got it made. A LMT that offers Kinesiology is also a bonus. If you don't like being touched or feel uncomfortable about undressing, Reflexology or Shiatsu is a good alternative and both work very well too.