I am at my wits end. For 2 months I have been suffering from recurrent, painful swollen glands in my neck, jaw and face. I developed a rash that eventually scabbed and is still going away. My hands, elbows, shoulders and knees have been very painful and more recently developed lower abdominal pain on my right side. I also have been suffering with swollen ankles and pain in my groin area and stomach bloating. My blood count has been hovering in the high normal stage and comes back down, my ultrasounds(pelvic and abdominal) all showed nothing abnormal. Any ideas?

Hi there! Sorry to hear about the things you are going through. Seems like something’s going on and I think you need to work closely with your doctor to try to figure out what it is. Have you had any viral infections recently or been under a lot of stress lately?

Prolonged stress can lead to all sorts of both physical and emotional symptoms. Viral infections can progress to chronic fatigue. This usually happens when you don’t recover well from it but instead you become feeling weak, with swollen glands, joint pains, low mood, poor concentration, stomach problems, etc

To suspect chronic fatigue syndrome, the symptoms need to persist for six months or more, which is not so comforting for you to hear.

Has your doctor made any other tests besides blood and the ultrasound?

I have had swollen neck glads for several weeks and am always exhausted. I had a tic bite in my neck but the blood test shows no lime disease. Have you had any luck finding out what is going on? I am at a loss...I am seeing a doctor next week in Boston so I hope for some answers.

Perhaps you could ask your doctor to run more extensive bloodwork. An autoimmune panel (ANA, rheumatoid factor, ESR, hs-CRP to start with), electrolytes and kidney & liver function tests and a urinalysis if this hasn't been done. Hopefully they can find more what is going on, or at least rule some more things out. Where was your rash and what did it look like? Have you been having any fevers? Are you sensitive to sunlight? Have any of your other joints swollen up or just the ankles?

I have had a similar syndrome and I know how frustrating it can be to not know what is wrong. The ankle swelling and swollen glands are what worry me the most about myself. I do have some autoimmune blood markers - so that is what they are working up for me. It will still be months before I get in with the specialist but at least they have a suspicion.