The joints of my wife's hands are extremely stiff and painful in the morning. We've been to every doctor under the sun. Over the past two years, tests for arthritis, lupus, MS, (all traditionally known causes) etc., have all come up negative. Does anyone have any ideas, or a similar problem?

?!! Has she had an Xray of her hands? And has she been seen by a Rheumatologist? I would like her to have her blood tested for her Vitamin D levels, I have a feeling that they are very low! Most people now adays keep out of the sun SO much that it puts their bone health at risk! Low Vitamin D levels cause, pain and stifness in our joints, depression, and even skin cancer - which we are trying to avoid by being out of the sun!!!!!! 8-| So lets see what the blood tests show, in the mean time the best thing for the pain is Ibuprofen! Please let me know how she gets on OK? Good luck and ehalth to both of you!

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes we saw 2 rheumatolgists, and both were at a loss, claiming that there are others with this problem about which a cause is never found, but that as long as there are no other symptoms she may just have to live with it (easily said). Our family doctor just gave her yet another comprehensive blood exam. She is calling this morning to see if the Vitamin D levels were tested. A hint, perhaps, is that we went to Italy to a thermal spa in September, where the symptoms, for 10 days almost disappeared. Anyway, we really appreciate your reply and your concern.

Your welcome! I just had another thought, has she been tested for bone density? Also has the space between her joints been measured? IT sounds to me like a osteo arthritis condition, instead of a rheumatoid arthritis! Bone density and bone age tests could reveal that she is low in both calcium and Vitamin D. It doesn't hurt to start taking both supplements, just to see! Also increasing her oils ESPECIALLY Omega oils is VERY helpful for the joints! I would also suggest she asks to see a massage therapist, and accupuncture has been shown to GREATLY improve mobility in arthritis patients! As you know when your muscles are tight - which are connected to the bones - it can feel more like a bone problem when in fact it is a muscle problem! There is also a wonderful spa treatment, that is self heating paraffin wax - I was told that you can find them at Walmart! It is wax in a bag - infused with oils and you heat it up by rubbing the bag together and then place the hands in the bag - it is a treat as well as helpful, Some Ideas for you for Christmas!!! ;-) Also you know those foot massage baths, she can get the same relief putting her hands in it, and using Epsom Salts. Here is a link of how to do a hand massage, and you can learn it and help her out!

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-do-a-relaxing-hand-and-arm-massage

Let me know how she makes out OK? Good luck and health to both of you!

Thanks so much again. These are some great suggestions that we are following already. In fact, we just ordered a portable little sauna, to see if that had an affect. Anyway you really got me on the case now. Mike