I have a question for people with diabetes. Can someone please take the time to answer my question? I know diabetes causes different symptoms in different people, but I am interested in finding out of high blood sugar can cause itching on the skin? How do you know when you have high blood sugar? What are the other signs?

Hi Boris,

High blood sugar (as know as diabetes) has many different symptoms, and not everybody is experiencing the same ones. High blood glucose can definitely affect the skin. However if your skin itches all the time it doesn’t mean that you have diabetes. First you need to test your blood glucose levels. This is a simple test and it doesn’t take much time to do it.

What other symptoms are you experiencing? If you are having dizziness or you are experiencing vomiting, you might have diabetes. Change in the weight is also a sign. Diabetes has many symptoms and sometimes it is hard to know if the symptoms are caused by it so only thing you can do is to test your blood sugar level.  

It is true. I have been diabetic for 4 years. Ever since I was diagnosed with it, I started to have a  terrible itchy skin, practically all over my body, especially all over my arms and legs. I understand now that it is due to raised blood glucose levels, however, it is good to talk to others who share a similar experience, just like I did. My first diagnose was lower hemoglobin A1C levels and I was like - OK, I will treat it, I will take some supplements and I will regulate it. And that this all thing with itching started so I was talking to my doctor because I was so scared. Then, he told me about the connection between it. It is almost normal for everyone with this and similar diagnose. 

Skin itching is caused by impaired kidney function brought on by prolonged elevated blood glucose levels. Too much sugar in blood stream over a long enough period of time will destroy your kidneys. Regulate your blood sugar levels and drink LOTS of water-a couple quarts a day.

High blood sugar can cause itching on the skin. That's for sure!

The problem is that you want to cure itching or diabetes, if you want to cure itching on the skin, I would like you to check my profile, you will find the final solution.

I am a type 2 diabetic. I am experiencing itching all over. I tested my blood sugar and it is 165 right now and it should be around 80 to 100. What can I do to help with the itching? It keeps me awake and without sleep, I can not function well

How do I check a profile? I don't really get on line too often so I really don't know how to do that.