Hi, I've had diabetes type 2 for almost 3 years now and I still have problems with high blood sugar levels. This has been so difficult for me. Somehow, I'm not able to get the hang of this. How do I treat hyperglycemia? I try to eat less and less sugar and then I swing the other way. Then I take in food and I get high blood sugar. How does work exactly. Seems rather complicated to me. Is there a simple way to look at this and get it under control. Or, is it really complicated? I really need some help. Can anyone help me? Please, Thanks

Hello there, Well, it depends on your particular situation. If this is not severe (really high blood sugar) and it happens once in a while, you may not need to worry it. In other words, you don't need to treat it. But of course it depends on what caused it. Did you just go off your diet for one meal or perhaps a day or did you start some new medication? If you glucose levels are not high or perhaps you are pre-diabetic all you need to do is to make the dietary changes. Exercise is important as well so don't forget that. If necessary talk with doctor and see if he/she can help pin point the problem. There are also Internet resources available from the American Diabetes Association. Find that website and mark as a favorite (bookmark) so you can get to it quickly. If you're have longer term problems with hyperglycemia, this is an issue. If you had type 1 diabetes insulin is the choice of treatment particularly for life-threatening situations (very high glucose blood levels). High levels of glucose can bring about confusion and possible black out. However, I see that you have type 2 diabetes. General, type 2 diabetes can be handled with a combination of oral and injectable medications. In some cases, diabetes type 2 individuals may also take insulin on top of non-insulin drugs.