Title says it all. What are the effects. I am in no way an alcohol, however I do enjoy a good glass of wine after dinner or a beer ocasssionaly. I heard alcohol consumption can severely derange your suger levels and may lead low blood sugar?? I do not understand, if it lowers sugar, why is it bad?

Alcohol does lower blood sugar but to too low of a level.  It doesn't matter how much is consumed or the frequency.  Hypoglycemic, or low blood sugar results from alcohol consumption because of the way it increase insulin secretion. It also impairs the hormonal response to regulate a balance in blood sugars. Your glass of wine after dinner or the occasional beer will lead to hypoglycemia if you are not careful. To add insult to injury, if you are taking hypoglycemic medications, alcohol will enhance the effectiveness of these drugs.  It is vitally important for you to watch yourself when drinking an alchoholic beverage as the chance of becoming hypoglycemic is high.

Apprentice

Dear Guest. If you have a glass of wine with food or one beer once in a while - you need not to worry about. This is highly unlikely to affect your sugar levels. On the other hand, IF you drink too much alcohol (let's say you go a weekend drinking binge) and especially if you do not eat, that might have lead to low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, since once the body depletes body reserves of sugar, the liver starts producing glucose (sugar), however, large doses of alcohol inhibit that. Hope this answers your question. Best, Tom