I’m told that my brother’s child is being suspected of having some pervasive development disorder. What does this means and can it be cured? I’d like to know how to recognize the signs and symptoms of pervasive development disorder.

Hi! I might be of help here for I experienced the situation alike in my family. First of all, PDD-pervasive development disorders consists of a group of disorders whose symptoms are: lack of eye contact, communication, speech and language difficulties, preoccupation with specific objects, unawareness of other people presence, lack of interests , incapability of understanding other people needs and disorders. They usually repeat words, their conversion is very restrictive, and their IQ is usually on average or above average level but is not treated as mentally retarded. In fact they can improve their skills through adjusted forms of behavioral/educational programs. To the group of pervasive development disorders belongs autism, autism spectrum disorder, Asperger’s, multiplex developmental disorder and childhood disintegrative disorder.