I’d like to know the differences between autism and Asperger Syndrome. My child is autistic and I spent a lot of time with the parents whose children are diagnosed with autism but also with Asperger’s. And in order of better understanding I’m curious how can you tell a difference? Thanks

Hi! I’m a mom in the same situation. I have autism kid that goes to a speech therapy along with children diagnosed either with autism or Asperger’s. I can tell you that the main differences are in levels of delay regarding their communication, speech and language skills as well as their capabilities of understanding other’s people needs and feeling. By the definition Asperger’s a separate form of autism and autism spectrum disorder, but on the other hand while diagnosing it’s difficult to determine between these two disorders. There’re also common characteristics between these two disorders which are usually manifested in communication, level of interests and activities. The main differences refer to the level of impairment. While one with autism may have an IQ under the average, those with Asperger’s has IQ that is average or above average. One with autism may have total speech lack of speech while one with Asperger’s may show difficukty in anderstanding spoken language. Anyway the important thing is here to determine the right therapy that would be of use for every individual affected with these disorders.