I get painful external hemorrhoids about 1-2 times a yr. for the past 15 yrs. After I had my daughter 3 yrs. ago my anal area is always swollen and I have anal bleeding when I have a BM. I have thought about surgery but am wondering if it is more painful than just putting up w/ roids? I'd like to be done w/ the problem, but am on the fence. Any advice?

In my opinion, the roids are painful, but mine were internal, prolapsed(protruding out) and thrombosed.  I had several after a nasty bout of c diff.  I was in soo much pain with them, that I couldnt wait to have them banded.  I had some pain for about 2 days after the banding.  The surgeon didnt give me anything for pain during or after the surgery.  I took a couple of aspirin right after surgery and had minimal pain.  Well, a year later, one came back and before I knew it, it was prolapsed and thrombosed.  My surgeon was on vacation, so I tried a different surgeon.  I wanted relief, the hemmorhoids were so painful.  This time, I was put under while the banding was taking place and given vicodan for pain.  The first day, I was groggy from the meds they gave me, and slept most of the day.  The second day, I have a lot of burning, and thinking about taking the vicodan.  I'm told that the closer they are to the opening, the more painful they are.  I havent had any bleeding with a bm and   Im hoping that a couple more days and I"ll be pain free...