I occasionally suffer from Hemorrhoids, and have been told that they can cause impotence.

Nothing I have read about Hemorrhoids seems to correlate with this, but it would but my mind at great ease if a medical professional could dispell the notion for me.

Or is there any link?

I have no problems getting it up-it lives in that state-but am worried about potential future problems.

Thanks,

0209510

Sorry man, I reckon you’ve been wrongly tipped! I can’t see the way hemorrhoids could possible be causing erectile problems especially because they occur in the rectum, which has nothing to do with getting it up!

I have extreme constipations and hemorrhoids problems. I’ve had it for years! Sometimes I would pray I didn’t feel like taking dump because I know it would take the c**p out of me, heh!

However, I have never experienced erection problems. Erection occurs when blood flows into penile structures upon stimulation of any kind and has anything do to with veins and blood vessels in the rectum and around anus.

I had erectile dysfunction for a couple of years. Somehow my doctors thought that this was not going to last long, because all my test came in ok. But it lasted almost 2 years. My doctors thought it was an overactive bladder and gave me flomax . It worked for the erection only because it relaxes your muscles. He also gave me some viagra. I mentioned to my doctor once that my anal area is always painful and itchy. I asked him if it has anything to do with my erectile dysfunction or overactive bladder. He said that they do share the same nerve system, although he doubts if thats the cause. After going to see so many doctors and going through so many test. I finally decided to see a colon specialist and have my hemorrhoids removed by banding. Within a few weeks, I was feeling better. Within 2 months I have stopped all medications. I made love to my wife everyday this week. All natural, no viagra, no flomax. I would say I am close to 100 percent recovered. I plan on going back to see my doctors in about a month and report what I have gone through. I hope this will help other men as well.

I suffered from erectile dysfunction for almost 2 years. My doctors could not figure out the cause. They think it is an overactive bladder so they gave me flomax. It helped with the erection, because it relaxes your muscles. But i did not want to take flomax for the rest of my life. My doctor also gave me some viagra. I onced told my urologist that my anal area was always painful and itchy. I asked him if it had anything to do with my erectile dysfunction. He said that they shared the same nerve system, but he doubts if they are related. I read somewhere that erectile dysfunction can be cause by a lot of things including problems with your nervous system. If I had hemorrhoids that are painful, then they must be causing problems on my nervous system down there. So I finally went to see a colon specialist. She removed my hemorrhoids with a procedure called banding. Within a few weeks , I started to feel better. I stopped all medications. Within a couple months I feel like I have recovered 100 percent. I made love to my wife everyday this week. All natural, no viagra or flomax. I plan to go see my doctor and report what had happened. I hope this will help other men.

lucky29 wrote:

The errection process does indeed have some of its first stages performed in the anus. The brain tells the body to prepare for sex by sending chemical signals to the nervous system. The chemical signals are then picked up by the circulatory system. An increase in blood pressure is performed by blood vessels constricting. This constricting of the blood vessels around the anus & rectum increases blood pressure in the penis...

The blood vessels there begin to constrict thus not allowing the blood to flow out back to the heart. It is this function that actually begins the erection process. As the constriction of the vessels begins the penis then begins to fill up with blood & waal laah... You get it up...

Having Hemorrhoids can have an effect on the errection process in two ways.

(1) Shared nerves, & Pain receptors in the nerve endings in the rectum, anus, & anal sphincter can dampen the nervous systems response to the increased sex hormones...

Thus not allowing the chemical message from the brain to get to blood vessels in the anus to constrict to allow the penis to become erect. This is due to pain receptors being set off in the anus.

The central nervous system will always give precedence to pain receptors. As they are a part of the bodies natural defense mechanism . Pain signals take precedence over all other signals being sent by the central nervous system.. Except for in involuntary things like keeping your heart beating & lungs breathing.

(2) Blood flow. If the first process which is sent by the central nervous system to the circulatory system fails to materialize due to pain receptors being set off in the anus & anal sphincter then the constriction of blood vessels never actually begins... You will not be able to get a very strong errection... If at all The whole process is very dependent on each other...

If you have hemorrhoids that are interfering with getting an errection get they treated. Hemorrhoids alone are no fun if they are bad enough to affect your ability to have sex then this is far too much punishment for one man to have to endure...

I am not a doctor just someone who has had my own struggles with these issues & had to do alot of rescearch to get my answers. In the end once the hemorrhoids were healed then my erections came back..

The blood vessels there begin to constrict thus not allowing the blood to flow out back to the heart. It is this function that actually begins the erection process. As the constriction of the vessels around the anus begins the penis then begins to fill up with blood & waal laah... You get it up...

I suffer from chronic colitis which gives me frequent pain in my ass and overactive bladder which makes me go to the toilet quite often. Also my erction is a bit c**p. Recently I started taking a medication for overactive bladder called lyrinel XL 5mg which worked almost straight away and 1 month latter I found that my erections got unexpectedly better. Unfortunately I still have pain up my ass so it's not getting 100% OK. Also what i notice is sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with an erection and once i realize I am also in mild pain from either the bladder or back passage the erection goes away. I do not know if these are of any help to anybody.

I have been suffering from hemorrhoids, on and off, for the past ten or so years. When it happens, I have noticed that there is a great deal of shrinkage taking place on my johnson. I think this happens because the body pumps more blood to your behind, thinking that it needs it because of the swelling or soreness, than to your johnson. And since getting it up is merely the body pumping blood to your johnson, you find it hard to do so because of your hemorrhoids - because thats where the party is at! However, maybe irrelevant to the post but, I have noticed an applied reverse affect that reduces the hemorrhoids. If I try to get an erection (by you know, "ahem"), the hemorrhoids reduces and eventually goes away. I guess since the body then pumps more blood to your johnson, it reduces it from your behind and the swelling starts to ease away.

I have noticed that maca root causes my own hemorrhoids to flare up causing the issues described by previous posters. While maca root also works very well to increase erection strength in my personal experience, a mere 1/3 dose of the daily recommended value causes hemorrhoids (for me) within 8 hours tops. Your milage may vary as everyone's physiology varies some.

I was very careful to identify maca as the cause by restricting my diet, by not taking any other supplements, etc.

Hi Drfeelgood and lucky29 thanks a lot for posts. Very assuring and relieving! Could you guys pls tell how I can contact you privately? I have a peculiar case. Just had banding few weeks back.

Drfeelgood, thumbs up to you for this wonderful break-through of a post.

I must have had haemorrhoids for about 35 years if I can recollect very well. Of course, there were usual blood-dripping, scratching, pushing-ins, etc until the last few weeks. The man-wrecking of them all is ED. It reared its ugly head shortly after my marriage 17 years ago. It took me a while then to realize that my on and off erection problem had to do with my haemorrhoids. I visited GPs then and the situation improved a bit with supossitories, etc. I totally forgot about it as my sexual performance gradually nose-dived. And to make it worst, my peanut started to shrink both in length and thickness, and then loss of feeling even when watching pornos.

As I became worried and scared-stiff, I took turns to consult urologists and as usual, they could not find anything wrong with me after so many tests. In the end, they concluded that age must be responsible for my erection problem as it had entered no-show zone then. As usual, they placed me on Levitra. With all the "Don'ts" associated with Levitra... no grape juice, no big meal, no alcohol, etc, and the fact that you can not have unschedule sex with your spouse, I decided to do some research on the internet about ED, why peanut starts to shrink, etc. In the course of this task, I came to ask myself what is the difference between Levitra-induced and Natural sex. What does Levitra supplies that my body is lacking. While going through this brain-storming with my wife, I then stumbed on your post and belatedly realized that haemorrhoids which I ought to have dealt with one and for all when I was a teenager has been responsible for my marriage calamity.

About two weeks ago, I contacted a colonoscopist who confirmed that I had 3 haemorrhoids and the 3 were bounded. From the

second day, though I had initial difficulty to dump and pass urine, I noticed a new surge of 'power' through my penile area. That night, I had a go at my wife, though not to capacity but certainly a notable difference. There was steady progress and we took the chance once in a while until the last few days when I could not get it up again!

My questions are:

1. Did you experience this initial set back before you returned to full performance after 2 months?
2. Could it be because of anxiety, stress or the fact that I tire out of my 2-hour-workout every other day? Though I doubt all these factors because they did not affect me before the weak or no-erection zone crept in.
3. Could it because there are possibly more haemorrhoids in there than the doctor saw or bounded?
4. Could it because the bounding rubber did not succeed in cutting off the haemorrhoids because I have not seen anything falling off or dripping blood on my dump?
5. Or the banding is not effective? and I will need to consider other methods like stappling or Artery Ligation (HALO...  though very expensive ) ?
6. Or I was too impatient to start having sex with my wife?

Can you please take me through this stage going by your experience and research.

Thanks

life_anew

Sometimes I think too much intercourse/sexual activity makes hemorrhoids worse somehow. As for the anus being connected to sexual function... This is true. If you read about colorectal cancer you will see that rectal cancer that causes the removal of the anus affects sexual function in many ways. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ColonandRectumCancer/OverviewGuide/colorectal-cancer-overview-treating-surgery

Hi Dr. Feelgood, thanks for your post. It gave me hope and motivation to continue visiting doctors I couldn't stand anymore after almost 20 years of pain and ed. For I have hemmorhoids (1-2 degree) I chose the same pocedure (banding), but I am still waiting for any progress. Could you please tell me, how it worked and exactly how many interventions were needed and how much time it took. My doctor told me, that there is a need for three interventions. After the first one I had to wait for about 4 weeks before continuing with the next one. Now the second one is 2 weeks ago, so after 6 weeks I can't feel any progress. Did you get similar experience or did it work immediately after the first intervention? Please help me, my doctors don't and I am really down. They don't see any connection between ed and hemmorhoids.

... and please tell me, if you also lost the problem withe the "overactive bladder". I was suffering from this before the ed was starting. Thx

Hemorrhoids technically doesn't affect your fertility or potency since it does not affect your testicles from performing their duties. But yes, they do affect your abilities to have sex. It's going to be painful for you to erect fully or orgasm, so do seek treatment early!