I have been a sugar addict for a long time now. I am always craving sugar, in candy, cakes, chocolate - whatever I can get my hands on. It normally happens in the evening. I have been thinking about cutting out sugar totally, because obviously I am aware that so much sugar is not healthy for me, and it seems to be all or nothing for me. Are there any side effects to cutting out sugar?

There is no such thing as a "sugar deficiency" as sugar is not a nutrient by any means. So, yes, your side effects will be weight loss, energy, and a better quality, longer life!

I have to disagree. There is such a thing known as sugar withdrawal. When a person consumes a lot of sugar for a long time, like any substance, you can become addicted. Your body and mind begin to crave sugar, hence why it is usually at the same time, your mind has been programmer to crave the sugar at certain times. Yes, cutting out excess sugar is good you can go through some side effects while your body adjusts to the new diet. The side effects can include fatigue, depression feelings, headaches and even flu like symptoms. Of course, in a few weeks your body will adjust and you should end up feeling better than before with possibly more energy and a better complexion.

There is also something called cocaine withdrawal, but that doesn't make cocaine an essential nutrient.
Yes, when someone has an addiction to anything, sugar included, the following detox can be unpleasant just as you described.

I used to be a sugarhaulic and the way I weened myself off sugar was by (1) drinking lots of water with fresh lemon juice squeezed into it and (2) when I had sugar cravings, I would slice a banana lengthwise, spread almond butter on it and chop fresh medjool dates and put them on top of the banana and almond butter. While they are all sweet, they are a natural sugar, not processed. After about two weeks, I was no longer craving sugar. I started juicing carrots, celery and apples. I ate more salads and I ended up becoming a raw vegan. All this just because I weaned myself off refined white sugar. It made me feel fabulous and I craved healthy foods. I also lost a ton of weight, my allergies ceased and when I had a complete physical, my blood panel was excellent!

The "side effects" of going off sugar are all beneficial. The "withdrawal" symptoms are another story. It would be similar to going off caffeine or as someone else mentioned - cocaine - because refined white sugar is very much like heroin. You can definitely count on a wicked headache which I avoided by going the route I mentioned above. Everyone's body is different so it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what your symptoms would be.l

Another thing to keep in mind. All processed foods are loaded with sugar aka high fructose corn syrup, so you would be wise to pursue as much fresh, whole foods as possible. Best of luck to you. Going off sugar is one of the best decision you can make.

Do a internet search on the detriments of sugar, make a list, print it out and keep it nearby so that when you are tempted, you can refer to the list.

:-D

GApeach, lemon and bananas have some of the highest levels of sugar. Fructose is not only in processed sugar but it occurrs naturally in fruits and vegetables as well. You may need to do more research.

SpinningAround wrote:

GApeach wrote:

:-D

Yes GApeach this is levelled often (and boringly) at raw vegans- and perhaps some could become addicted (psychologically or otherwise) to bananas and lemons..but I personally have never come across this. I feel this is a total smokescreen put subtly and not so subtly about the internet to discourage people from realising that processed sugars and processed foods (whilst massively helpful to the pockets of huge corporations-funny that!!! ) are slow killers of billions across the world, via obesity,diabetes and so on. Anyone who transitions will, like me overeat the sweeter fruits at the start of the process, but it is well documented that this eventually balances out as each person regains a more normal and manageable blood sugar level. If a person is or feels they are addicted they will need to substitute as a starting point, in a similar way to a person "re-habbing" from alcohol or heavy drugs. Please show some common sense in your attitudes- the weight loss, shiny eyes, great skin and youthful looks of MOST sensible raw vegans are enviable and attainable, what is your agenda in discouraging this positive dietary choice, I wonder. The evidence and revelations of many is all over the internet, I am sure you know that...I'm just off to inject a few bananas and retrieve my rotten teeth from the floor - oh, hang on I am SO much better off on CORN syrup- NOT!!

Ugh I'm so glad I found this post, I cut down on sugar dramatically starting 3 days ago and my brain feels like mush with sharp sticks in it and I'm weak in the legs and my hands shake, I know it can't be anything else as I just had a check up and I'm all good. I eat a lot of natural food out of habit on counting calories but the sugar was getting really bad as I'd substitute food for big cups of very sweet coffee. Now I'm on tea with no sugar and no chocolate chip cookies. I've also lost .7k :) yay! :) I'll suck it up and keep going though I may succumb to a slice of cheesecake on special occasions :)

I totally agree about bananas and nut butter being an alternative to a sugary snack! it's very satisfying! Someone above mentioned that Banana's are very high in sugar and it is true HOWEVER it is not the same as ingesting table sugar or high fructose corn syrup. One's body doesn't respond the same, metabolize it the same way and it doesn't have the same glycemic response. People who are true Sugar Addicts have a biological "problem" and we metabolize food differently. Those "bad" sugars instantly trigger the desire for more sugar like crack or heroine. Trust me, bananas don't do that. I have decided the Sugar Abstinence (and by that I mean the bad sugar's : whites, processed etc.) is what works for me. I finally have control over my appetite. I no longer have to feel like I don't have self control because it was never my fault. It was metabolic for me. Now that I eat the right foods for my biology, I'm on the road to health and happiness with my body, mind spirit and YES my weight. Exercise and water are essential as well.Good luck everyone! :D

Suger is a simple carbohydrate therefore by definition is a nutrient which belongs to a group known as macro nutrients which are energy providing nutrient.

how every cutting out added suger is good but getting ride of suger completly is impossiable and you will die so you dont know what you are talking about.

I'm on day three of no sugar!!! WoohooI'm proud of myself and I'm so pumped to start living a healthy lifestyle. For some reason though I'm having trouble sleeping during this withdrawl phase. Anyone else expierance this? Dr. Lustig suggests that fructose(fruit sugar) is an acute toxin to the body. In regards to the banana to curb sugar cravings wouldn't the sugar in this be counterproductive?

I have been off processed sugar for a few days after weaning down for a week. The side effect for me is fatigue, probably from being addicted to the sugar high for almost 40 years. With the fatigue from the crash in energy also comes irritability and impatience. However, after enduring increasing amounts of brain fog, dizziness and sometimes even blurry vision, I knew it was time to finally eat whole foods and stop the cycle toward degenerative disease and disability. Excess sugar depletes other nutrients and also increases susceptibility to stress, causing a craving for even more sugar just to have enough energy to function. I need to work to support myself, and being healthy and mentally fit is the only way to accomplish this. The sugar withdrawal is not pleasant, and boy is it hard to kick the habit initially,but the long term benefits of longer, quality life are worth a few pretty uncomfortable weeks!

I also stopped all sugar/processed foods 3 days ago. I am waking up during the night with anxiety. I feel weak - struggling to go on my daily walk and lift 10 lb weights for upper body work-out. My tummy is full of delicious whole foods, but I feel horrible. This must be sugar/processed food withdrawal. I was wondering if you are still having trouble sleeping 2 weeks in?

Don't know if anyone is still following this board... but we dropped sugar, dairy and coffee as of two days ago and my head is SCREAMING ... I feel like my brain is vibrating and I occasionally feel like sharp needles going through it...

I don't know if it's by lack of sugar or coffee,,, probably both... UUUGGGHHH!!

However, I'm not discouraged as we are trying to go vegatarian, I know it is part of the withdrawal....

My question is.....   How long does this take???

Hi. 

After 2 years of thinking about it, I have finally made the decision to quit sugar.  I only started 4 days ago, and so far, I have not experienced any withdrawals,  however... I am having so much trouble sleeping!  I am a poor sleeper at the best of times, usually getting 5-6 hours a night, but at the moment, it is dreadful.  I tried herbal sleeping tablets, but they didn't help one bit. Not sure if this is part of the whole process or just me and my bad sleeping habits!

I am not going 'cold-turkey', but am spending this week severely restricting my sugar intake.  5 - 6 cups of tea a day, with 1 teaspoon of sugar is now down to 3 with half a teaspoon.  I have to be off it by Sunday to begin the 'true' withdrawal program.

I am convinced of the benefits of living without sugar.  I do not have anyone to go through this with me, so a blog seems like a good companion!