I often feel so drowsy after meals that I can hardly concentrate on my work. It's especially challenging when I'm pressed, deadlines and stuff. I don't overeat, for example I've had a normal meal (a small bun, mushroom salad and yogurt, a candy bar) today. I don't have any conditions that I know of. How can I relieve this, other than stop eating at work?

Hi there! If you feel drowsy and lacking energy after eating, it is very likely you have hypoglycemia. It is likely you have eaten a meal that is too high in carbohyrdates and not balanced with protein and fat. Here are some tips that might help you. Never skip brekfast, it sets the energy standard for the rest of the day. Make healthy food choices such as wholegrain breads and cereals, fruits, and yogurt, to provide you with sustained energy for the morning. Eating breakfast helps you to feel less tempted to resort to unhealthy food choices at lunchtime and increases your physical and mental well-being throughout the day. Avoid fast food. Avoid sugar and flour. Eat low-carb, high-protein food for lunch. Low-carb vegetable choices include: Sprouts, green beans, lettuce, mustard greens, radicchio, bok choy, sea vegetables, cabbage, mushrooms, radishes, celery, avocado, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, summer squash, zucchini, bamboo shoots, onions, tomatoes, artichokes, carrots, water chestnuts, pumpkin, etc. Low-fat choices include: Beans, nuts, soy, and whole grains. Skip the wine or beer with lunch. Curb your caffeine intake after lunch. If you're suffering from excessive drowsiness after eating lunch, even if you're taking the measures suggested above, it's important to see your doctor for a full checkup. I hope this will help you.

Thank you! You're probably right. The problem is that I never have time for breakfast, I usually have two cups of coffee at work until my lunch around noon. I'll try not to skip breakfast to see if the problem subsides.

You are welcome! :-) Yes, that's probably the best thing to do. You've already heard stories like "don't drink coffee on an empty stomach". :-D Coffee stimulates gastric acid to secrete. If this acid is secreted in high amount, then it eats up the gastric mucosa. If this continues, then gastritis or ulcer may develop and we don't want that %-) . Good luck!