Hello, guys. I have experienced something unusual. Last night I drank coffee and few hours after, I had diarrhea. I wouldn’t really know what it is. Maybe someone will know something more about this to tell me. What is it? I will be very grateful for all your answers. Bye, guys!

Hello, there. I am not sure what was with you exactly. Maybe you took too much coffee. It doesn’t sound to me like caffeine allergy. Symptoms of this allergy are: loss of judgment, agitation and hallucination. However, poisoning can be one of the symptoms of caffeine allergy. You should visit a doctor and see if you are really allergic to caffeine. If you are, you should avoid other products beside coffee. That would be green tea, black tea, guarana, cola, etc. Let me know what you find out. Good luck!

I just read this topic and realized that many people do not fully understand the Caffeine allergy.

I have this and it it can do many things to me. I will list some of the effects I have had in the past before I realized what was happening to me.

1. diarrhea
  2. dry peeling scalp in patches including anywhere on your body that hair naturally grows. This means itching and bleeding in some more severe attacks.
  3. abnormal difficult to control hyperactivity
  4. And even sometimes chest pains severe enough to mimic a heart problem.

Now here is a list of things that I can not consume.

1. Caffeinated coffee ( I can get away with decaf if I do not drink to much of it.)
  2. Caffeinated Tea
  3. Chocolate
  4. Beef (This is an interesting one because some beef effects me and some does not.) Macdonald's burgers have a very bad effect on me, where as BurgerKing burgers have very little effect. It may be the way they are cooked ut I am not sure.)
  5. Some Milk products also have this effect on me although I do not understand why. (I may have a lactose intolerance also.. Who knows..)

The diarrhea passes fairly quickly but the skin irritation lingers for weeks at a time.
I have found some relief for the skin problem is any one cares to try it. What I do is wash my hair with Zest soap and rinse with water then afterwards I use 90% alcohol and rinse my scalp with that liberally. It stings like mad but I do it twice regardless of how much it hurts and it gives me relief for days.

If you stay away from those things in the list and continue the alcohol treatment every few days for about 2 weeks. First it gets much easier (Less painful as your scalp heals) and if you can stay away from the Coffee ect. then you can stop until you accidentally ingest some caffeine again. Then you have to start over and add what ever it was you ate to your list of things not to eat.

Ok all that being said, these are not the only symptoms to a caffeine allergy these are just MY symptoms. Different people can have different symptoms. I am a relativity healthy person and have been my whole life. I didn't used to have a problem with Caffeine but as I got older this surfaced. Generally speaking I was the one with the iron stomach in my youth. Age does some strange things to us so just because you did not ever have a problem with this in the past does not mean you are not now developing it.

The best thing to do is to keep a log of what you eat and drink so you can look back on what is causing you issues and eventually you will see a pattern emerge.

If you only had this happen to you one time with Coffee you should pay attention to the brand of coffee. Because it is possible that it is not even a caffeine allergy. Different brands of coffee use different pesticides and you might be having a reaction to that. Also different brands of Coffee have a higher concentration of caffeine. If you find that the higher caffeine content coffees are causing this issue then you may have a caffeine allergy coming on. Watch it carefully and you can save your self a lot of grief.

I hope this helps someone because many Doctors still do not understand this fully. And rarely diagnose it properly.

Hi ONLY USED TO DRINK COFFEE AND BEGAN SUFFERING SEVERE DIARRHEA AFTER HAVING A COLONOSCOPY TO ENSURE THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG I DECIDED IT MUST BE MY DIET AND NARROWED IT DOWN TO COFFEE. HENCE I STOPPED DRINKING IT AND NOW I AM FINE.