I really like swimming. I go there with my friend twice a week, because we get monthly passes, and we keep fit that way. We really enjoy each other's company at the same time. The only disadvantage is that I have started suffering from really dry skin. My friend doesn't seem to be affected by it much so it must be something wrong with my skin or the moisture balance or something. It's now getting to the point of not just just dryness but flaking as well and it is rather uncomfortable. 

I don't want to take up another sport and not have my friend come along so I am looking for something to remoisturize my skin. Any tips, please? What are good remedies?

I can only recommend that, after you take your bikini or swim suit off and rinse your body completely, you use one of the special washes and lotions designed for frequent swimmers. TRISWIM body wash and lotion are very good options here, but not the only ones. On a similar note, if you find that your hair is being dried out by the chlorine in your pool, you can purchase swimmers' shampoos and conditioners as well. All of these products are made with the goal of stripping the chlorine from your body and providing you with rehydration. I hope it works for you!

Celebrity

Hey,

I have heard that outdoor pools are easier on the skin — probably something to do with the chlorine evaporating? Because of that, whenever I do swim in a chlorinated pool, I choose outdoor pools. Another thing you can do is to rinse your whole body with shower water before you go for your swim; this protects hair and skin. You can also put coconut oil all over your body and it is supposed to form a barrier between you and the water to keep chlorine out. In addition, coconut oil has a mild sun protection factor that can help you out if you are swimming outdoors. 

Rosie

Frequent exposure to chlorinated pools can sure take a toll on your skin! Here are some things that may help you:

• Some pools have more chlorine than others. See if you can find out which pools near you have the lowest chlorine content and go there instead. 
  • Take your swimming gear off as soon as you come out of the pool and wash it as soon as you can afterwards. 
  • Rinse yourself down in the shower right away. 
  • Moisturize yourself well, and use petroleum jelly on the driest areas of your skin to rehydrate them. 
  • If things get really bad, look into hydrocortisone creams. 

Wow, thank you very much for all the replies!

I will certainly start taking a shower right before going into the pool, something I had noticed some people do but never did myself because I figured I was already clean so why take a shower? Ah, so that is why! I am quite amazed to learn that there are special lotions and washes for people who go swimming often. I had never seen those in stores, but now I know they exist I will definitely get some.

Hopefully the itching and dryness will be a thing of the past soon then and I can continue swimming no problem. I really hope so.

The right before and after care should minimize some of the symptoms you are experiencing after swimming in a chlorinated pool. Do know, however, that your symptoms may never go away as long as you frequently swim in chlorinated pools. Are there any local lakes you could check out instead, or do you live near the ocean by any chance? These natural bodies of water may be the best for you and if you have access to them, I would make use of them.

Hmmm... that sucks. I'd think that in the absence of getting specialised products aimed at frequent swimmers, any cream for very dry skin or eczema prone skin would help you out a great deal. Cetaphil makes a wide range of products, not just for people with acne. Their intensive moisturising cream may do wonders for you, as well as their Resoraderm calming body moisturiser. They have a gentle cleansing bar you may wanna check out as well. The good thing about Cetaphil is they aren't expensive and generally work really very well for dry skin types when you choose the right range.

In a one and a half months time I will be visiting my friends in a far away country. It is not only far away but also very warm. They don't have a sea though, so of course I want to go swimming on holiday. I'm looking forward to it and already ordered a few new swimsuits. But because we're going chlorinated pools which I don't normally go to, I am really worried about the effect this might have on my skin, considering that my skin is normally sensitive. What can I do to prevent the chlorine from drying my skin out? Please help!

Hi, I get dry skin too. I use this body scrub which has sugar and orange oil from Sephora. I also use moisturizer from this medical brand from the pharmacy, can't remember the name. I like to use cold milk to help my dry flaky skin. It's a bit weird putting milk on your skin but it really helps. Honey helps a lot too. Yoghurt is great for dry flaky skin too. Just put a bit of yoghurt on your dry skin. I have not tried it yet but plan to. I also heard you can use olive oil and that coconut is amazing for dry flaky skin. Good luck :)

Well I have Contact dermatitis and outdoor pool with chlorine burn and make my skin peel. It is because the sun activates pool which harm my skin. Go to this page to learn more.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of web addresses is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use