Having problems with dry skin on my legs, and when I say "dry", I mean sandpaper like dry. It is very frustrating and feels bad. My boyfriend even complained ;). 

Time to bring in the heavies! But what do I use on my skin to say bye bye to dry skin? Exfoliators, masks, creams, serums, whatever you know of, all tips are welcome. Shaving cream too, come to think of it. I already make sure to avoid really hot water in the shower, and use a body lotion daily, in case it makes any difference at all. I sometimes use a scrub on my legs but to not avail.

Tons of so-called remedies for dry skin on your legs are floating about the web as we speak, from honey masks to olive oil, sugar scrubs, oatmeal, and what not. If what you are dealing with is eczema like dry patches here and there rather than overall dry legs, then try either coconut oil or a topical eczema cream that does not include steroids. If your legs are dry overall, then a good hypoallergenic moisturizer/body lotion for dry legs made by a medical cosmetics company is most probably your best bet. I don't want to get into advertizing brands but there are some very good ones on the market.

Celebrity

Your skin is often at its very driest around the legs, especially knees, and elbows. Your dry legs can be an indication of overall dehydration or using the wrong skincare products. If you have been using body lotions free of alcohol and you still have a tight, pulling feeling around your skin and you have extremely dry patches that are noticeable to the touch, or they are red, or your skin is in fact peeling, it is time to see a doctor about it. You may be suffering from a skin condition as opposed to simple dry skin, so do not wait. 

Rosie

Celebrity
To add, here are some possible causes of dry skin for you:

* "The elements": heat, dry air, air conditioning, central heating, that kind of thing.
* Dehydration.
* Swimming in chlorinated pools frequently.
* Using cosmetics you are allergic to or that contain drying ingredients such as alcohol.
* Taking showers that are too hot and then rubbing rather than patting yourself dry.
* Exposure to other household and office chemicals such as cleaners, soaps, paints, that kind of thing.
* Skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.

Rosie

Hi!

I was just wondering if you had already heard of and looked into creams that contain alpha hydroxy acids such as lactic acid? If you haven't... do it! AHAs are pretty good, and renowned for helping people with severely dry skin as well as removing old skin cells that you really don't want any more. Why? Because though it sounds weird, alpha hydroxy acids both exfoliate and trap moisture in your skin. This is exactly what it sounds like you want with the situation you describe. Your skin will be less dry and the flaking will be gone.

Hope that helps!!!

Well, what are you currently using? Just straight olive oil of the kind you use in the kitchen can be pretty hydrating, plus I have heard that it helps you tan faster, which is also a nice bonus. Constant shaving also dries your skin out, so it could be helpful to look into waxing instead, which lasts longer and so also gives you plenty of time to recover. Other than that, just drinking enough water is also very powerful and most of us really don't. Two liters a day, people! Avoid anything that contains alcohol on your skin and avoid too much caffeine and alcohol internally as well.

Some causes of dry skin that you may want to consider:

1. Excess exposure to heat, dryness, wind, and cold, either indoors or outdoors. This can also be caused by taking showers too frequently. Most people find that their skin changes significantly from season to season. Winter is usually the season for dry skin, but some people find that their skin gets dry as spring begins. Oh, and sun exposure is of course another major issue.
  2. Using the wrong cosmetic products or using too many of them, or too often. Even cleansing your skin can dry your skin out, especially if you are using the wrong products! 
  3. Hormones, medications, genetics, all that stuff you can't do all that much about. An improper diet though, that is another cause that you CAN fix.

Choose a cleaner that is gentle, and whatever you do do not use straight out SOAP BARS, which many people do to their legs, because using soap will strip away that protective layer on your skin and will definitely increase the dryness you are already suffering with.

Some people don't like urea because the thought behind it is kind of gross, but moisturizing lotions with urea can be an amazing savior for dry skin that I think you should seriously consider.

Dry skin on the legs is usually caused by hair removal, whether shaving, waxing or epilating, but it can also be because of exposure to hot and cold weather.

A good way to get rid of it is stand in the bath and put a facial clay mask on your legs until the mask dries completely. Then shower your mask off with lukewarm, NOT hot water, and then apply royal amounts of a natural hypoallergenic cream or even a good dose of vaseline. And when you shower, don't use really hot water as this only makes your legs even drier. You can use a moisturizing shower lotion as well, NEVER just soap.

Me, I quit shaving my legs and switched over to waxing instead. With waxing, it does take some skin off as the hairs are removed, but you have to have it done much less often and in the end it is less harsh on our skin that razors, which also take off quite a large number of skin cells as you shave. Of course I exfoliate regularly and use a nice body lotion every day. I did when I was shaving as well though, and the cause of my dry legs was basically entirely the shaving. Something to think about?

hey... I think exfoliator is something which will make your skin even more dry. Try some oil massage before you go to bed.

Hi, I've been having dry skin on my legs too. I use this lotion but it's not seeming to help. I have heard that avoiding harsh soap is good, and I do think it helps. I also use oils which helps. I use coconut oil, baby oil and body oil. They really help so definitely use them. Use sun screen when it's hot, because the sun can be very rough on the skin. Bathe with warm water. Drink lots of water, it helps hydrate you skin. Rub honey on your legs, honey helps a lot. And finally blend some avocado, and then rub it on your skin.