Why do my children and I break out in a rash and burn and itch when we get into our pool? I use the super shock it that you find at walmart to chlorinate our pool. We have swam in other pools and this does not happen to us. Please help.

HI..I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M READING YOUR MESSAGE. I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY KIDS AND OUR POOL. IF YOU GET ANY ANSWER PLEASE REPLY.

Red, irritated eyes are caused by 2 things; bad pH or the presence of chloramines. The human eye has a pH (on avg) of 7.5 and most water experts suggest you maintain that level of pH (7.4 to 7.6). If it is not in this range then the potential for eye irritation exists.

Chloramines are present due to all the makeup, cologne, gel, body sprays, and human waste (yes urine) we generate. These aforementioned "unfiltrable" wastes have nitrogen which "tie up" the free chlorine rendering it useless. When this happens, chloramines are created which lead to "red eye". If you can smell chlorine then you have chloramines - should never be able to smell chlorine.

Hope this helps,
thepoolgenie

(BUT) Most common solutions to the problem is checking the pH of the water BUT, there are some cases where the pH is at a good level and rashes still occur....

most pools have a fiberglass lining that is then covered with a gel coat. Over time, this gel coat will wear away exposing the fiberglass. Itching and rashes can result from reactions to fiberglass in the water.

You are over chlorinating the pool or the children who have more sensitive skin are more sensitive to the high chlorine levels. 

I have been swimming in pools all my life (58yrs) and never had a skin reaction in pool water untill around 5 years ago. After swimming I soon developed small red itchy patches on my abdomen, chest, & upper frontal thighs. Later in the day these areas became very itchy and developed small bumps. The next day or two the bumps would become hard then flakey and eventually go away. This would last 2 to 3 days. I tested this reaction in different pool environments, chemicals and temperatures with no discernerable differences. I had a doctor scrape the area and analysis for bacteria or any other test or diagnosis he might suspect could cause this rash and all came back negative. Eveyone said it was a reaction to pool chemicals but this even happened in salt treated pools.This became very frustrating because it only occured in swimming pools, only in the last several years, no answers to the cause and I was not about to quit swimming. Thats when it hit me, the only variable consistant with me & the pools  was: I started using those FOAM NOODLES when swimming around the same time this reaction started. The areas where the rashes occured corresponded with the same areas I used the noodles to float. I tested this theory and guess what? No more rashes.

I have no idea the chemistry involved in how the material from the noodle reacts with pool chemicals  coming into contact with the skin. but if anybody else has this unexplainable rash from swimming and uses the noodles stop using them and see what happens. Also if anyone knows the chemistry that would cause this I would be curious to learn.

I've been using a noodle also and have a rash around my belly and lower backside, my noodle was coated, but the coating is coming off, I'm 76 and swim w/senior ladies, never seen any of them go to the restroom???

SHE ASKED ABOUT SKIN RASHES ,, NOT RED EYES

Thank u so much noodle man because I have the rash rigjt now n I cud not figure it oit n I have uses a nood all week n the rash is is,on my under arms n back of my thighs exactly where the noodle was thank u soo much I was starting to get woreied the ph was good n I checked 1000 other sights n this seems to.be the bext answer... THanks!!

My spelling was terrible I know.. It was the phone not me...lol

I'm glad I found this thread because I have been having tsame rue reaction and I use a pool noodle to float around!

I don't think the reaction is chemical. I suspect the rash is due to skin abrasion caused by the rubbing of the noodle against your skin over an extended period of time.

my husband and i both have terrible rashes on our inside groin thighs from using noodles! no more noodles!

I used the noodle and had a rash all under my arm. I stop using the and the rash went away. Then I try it again a years later and the rash is back. What can I used to get rid of the rash?

yes I noticed that too and stopped using the noodles. No more itching or rash.